Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

best fillet knife

Old 01-13-2005, 04:35 PM

Default best fillet knife

I'm looking for a fillet knife to us as a boning knife on deer. I have two Rapalas and am satisfied with their performance, but every major cutlery company offers a fillet knife that generally cost more. Are any worth the additional price in regards to taking and holding an edge or are they just a waste of money? Would like to have a 7 incher.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: best fillet knife

Heres my opinion......with most fish(besides larger pike, salmon/trout and walleye) most knives that would be good boning knives are too stiff and thick for my tastes, as far as a good knife, Forshner makes some awesome ones and i love the flexibility of my Case Fillet.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:08 PM

I have a good Cutco filet knife.It is razor sharp and the blade is adjustable from 6 to 9 inches and fairly flexible.It has a lifetime guarantee and comes with a sheath.The best plus is that it is made in America.I also have bought their hunting knife but unfortunately didn't get a chance to use it last season.The filet knife is the sharpest I have ever used and have heard of guys cutting themselves very badly,so be careful.They have a site at www.cutco.com. Their knives last as my father has had his for over 40 years.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the Forschner Fibrox Boning Knives. They are reasonable, non slip handle, easy to sharpen/keep edge and fit/design is suberb IMHO. I personally like the semi stiff 6" curved blade for most of my butchering needs. As you can see by the pic and link attached they have other styles as well.

[link]http://www.cutleryandmore.com/forschner.htm[/link]

Old 01-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Want the best - here it is

http://www.leechlakeknife.com

Old 01-17-2005, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use the Forschner Fibrox Boning Knives
These are some of the best knives on the market. I've been using my set of knives since culinary school. That was 20 years ago. No problem keeping an edge. I earned my lively with these blades and believe me they got a work out. I always used my own blades not the restaurants so yuo can guess how many hours they have been used.

For filleting fish I use a electric carving knife however.