Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

fillet knives

Old 06-26-2003, 04:18 AM

Default fillet knives

I' ve owned and used Rapala fillet knives for many years and have generally been pleased with them. They sharpen very quickly and easily but the downside is they also lose their edge when cleaning a stringer of tough boned fish like smallmouth. I guess this is the tradeoff of softer steel, but wondered if someone knew of a better product?
Old 06-26-2003, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: fillet knives

Yupper! Electric fillet knife is hands down way better. Wont even use the other type any more.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:02 AM

my father fot me a 4.5 " blade folding rapala knife for my birthday, can' t wait to use it. we had a mister twister power knife, but it broke and also it seemed to leave a lot of meat on the fish. i found it to be a little wasteful, especially on smaller fish like crappie. however we did havea christmas party with a 6' sub and the electric knife was great for slicing sections for people b/c it did not crush the bread
Old 06-29-2003, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I own this knife made by Cutco and it is terrific.........holds an edge great and has a cam-lock blade system that allows you to extend the blade length to handle different size fish. Handle is a nice non-slip material that fits the hand well.
I can keep mine like a razor blade, and it' s so comfy I use it for most of my venison trimming.

http://www.cutco.com/jsp/catalog/det...sembleId=10330

I think its a little pricy (not sure it was a X-MAs present from my parents last year), but a really nice knife.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just got my first father' s day present (16 more days to the due date! Can ya believe it, Matt?) and it was a GREAT one! My wife bought me an electric filet knife from Rapala, and it is WAY cool. It comes with its own carrying case, a cutting board which snaps out of the case, and it is operated by either plugging into a 110v outlet, or you can plug it into your cigarette lighter if you' re out camping or something. AND -- get this -- it also comes with a pair of clips to attach to a 12v battery so you can filet your fish out on the water before you ever trailer your boat! Just dump the guts overboard, throw the filets in a ziploc bag and put them in your cooler; what could be easier than that!

Did I mention I love my wife?