Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
What is a good size/type fillet knife to get? >

What is a good size/type fillet knife to get?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

What is a good size/type fillet knife to get?

Old 08-05-2002, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default What is a good size/type fillet knife to get?

I go out with friends and catch croakers from as little as a pound to rockfish as big as 35 pounds. I was wondering what fillet knife you all would recommend that will not dull too quickly, is easy to sharpen and cuts good fillets? What size/brand would you recommend? Looks are not an issue. I value 1) quality, 2) comfort, 3) affordability. I would go cheap if they cut as well and last as long.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Please remember to include length of blade you would recommend for my use. I only cut fillets, since I don't keep fish smaller than about a pound.

Thanks!

Doug

Edited by - DougMd on 08/05/2002 10:04:50
Old 08-05-2002, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is a good size/type fillet knife to get?

an electric fillet knife. same as an electric bread knife or turkey carver. We'd pick them up at garage sales for dimes on the dollar! Man once you learn to use them..you'll never look at a fish knife again...>EVER<! Its sooooooo fast, easy to clean, no sharpening, really hard to nail your fingers (although it can be done) and sooo smooth. Someone actually sent me an electric fish knife this year. I am eager to get back in the swing of things. This one is portable. Perfect for a boat. Hopefully it will work on a 60lb king....eager to find out....

http://www.geocities.com/tradbow007/...dventures.html
Old 08-07-2002, 04:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with the electric knife. When I first started using one I thought they would work for big fish but not small ones. It turned out that it works great for perch and crappie to0. As far as manual knives I like the Rapala seven and one half inch knife. It does stay sharp and is easy to resharpen and often comes with a small sharpener. They are a good knife in my opinion.

Old 08-07-2002, 05:31 PM

BINGO....Electric knife and nothing else. Period.

sixpoint40
Old 08-08-2002, 12:18 PM
Spike

I also have a rapala manual knife, it does have a sharper, and a leather sheath. Its pretty good
Old 08-08-2002, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Buck makes 2 nice ones...Oceanmate 12 inch blade, and Lakemate 9in blade. The handle is rubber and the blade holds an edge. They come with a hard plastic sheath. I use the oceanmate. Its great on flounder and stripers....
Old 08-08-2002, 09:15 PM

I agree with everyone else pretty much. Rapala has a good knife on the market, holds an edge well but with all knives you have to be good at resharpening (which I am not)... This year I bought an electric fillet knife and I will never go back, unless I have to due to lack of electricity. I butchered my first few fish but once you get the hang of it you can clean them better than with a regular knife and in less than half of the time. I have a cordless Angler's Best (I think that's the name) and I brought it with on a trip to Ontario with no electricity and it still made it through the 1st 40 fish but after that I had to do it the regular way. I fish often in remote areas but if you usually clean fish at home or in public cleaning areas you can probably get away with just a regualr electric knife and spend a lot less than I did.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:01 AM

The only problem with an electric knife is you cut through bones that you can feel with a manual knife. I use a Rapala and as for sharpening it just takes practice. I have a diamond steel(Like chefs use) and the Rapala takes an edge really quick and hold it.

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 08-16-2002, 05:05 PM

I once saw a cordless knife that could be recharged, but cannot find one to buy. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Airedales hunt for feather or fur!
Old 08-25-2002, 11:35 AM

Go with the electric!!! Way faster!!!!!!

Edited by - DUCKBUCKKILLER on 08/25/2002 12:37:00

Quick Reply: What is a good size/type fillet knife to get?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.