Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

got them cleaned, fillet..

Old 09-09-2002, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default got them cleaned, fillet..

and i was reccomended to salt water them for a couple of days. (im talkin about the doves). im still trying to figure out what to do with the birds tommorow. i got about 6 decent birds and we lost a little of the meat so im gonna search for recipes. i was told to just fry them but i kinda want to do something else instead of just a fry. we don't have a BBQ grill yet for our house (we got lots of stuff to buy still since we're still moving in). anywayz can u guyz comfirm that the salting is a good idea? thanks

jjoel

p.s. any other reccomendations i'd appreciate

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
http://gunreviews.to.gs
Old 09-09-2002, 09:21 PM

Default RE: got them cleaned, fillet..

Personally, I've never heard of soaking them in salt water, but it might work well. I'd freeze the 6 and wait until I got more before cooking them. I don't know how well your guests like them, but I usually allow 5-6/person. If you don't have a vacuum sealer, put them in a freezer tolerant zip-lock and cover them in water. Draw the extra air out and freeze them until you've got more. My wife fried up 5 for her grandmother with side of cream gravy and grits. The lady will be 102 on Sept 23rd, but she'd whip a bobcat for dovemeat. Wife just battered them in buttermilk and a flour & Chacere's mix and fried them in a skillet. You can also deep fry them or wrap them in bacon and onion (jalapeno optional) and broil them in the oven if you don't want to fry them and don't have a grill yet.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:47 PM

I generally soak mine in salt water, but not for a couple days. An hour or two at the most and don't add much salt. Two years ago I made the mistake of adding too much salt and leaving them in for too long, tasted like eating salt right out of the container. I think the salt helps draw a little more blood out of the meat, but leave them in too long and salt can make them tough.

--Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs--
Old 09-10-2002, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the tips guyz. i think im gonna find a gravy recipe and fry them up. i'm gonna try to add a little "spice" to it though.

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
http://gunreviews.to.gs