Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Back from fla. fishin >

Back from fla. fishin

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Back from fla. fishin

Old 07-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Back from fla. fishin

I just got back from fla. and had a great time fishing. My brother and I fished some canals outside of west palm and fished the stick marsh and some canals along the tamiami trail down in the glades. I fished with the 14# green suffix and until the last day fishing I was winning by almost 2lbs. The stick marsh was dull the first day as we were trying to locate the fish. We each only boated 1 bass each over the 14" limit, nothing to bragg about. The second day at the stick marsh we fished the stumps at daybreak and I was throughing a 4" gold back rapala and working it as a crank bait about 2 ft below the surface. The rapala worked well as I lost a nice one and then I caught a 4.8 lber. I ended up catching about 10lbs that morning and was beating my brother by about 2 lbs for the week of fishing. The next day we fished the canals along the tamiami trail and I caught a 4.8lber in the heat of the afternoon on a gold back rapala. My brother than switched to a goldback rapala and boated a 6.8 lber and another about 5.5. We fished until well after dark but he outfished me by about 15lbs for that day as I wasn't able to fish after that. I don't mind losin after beating him on his own turf for many years, but next year when I go back we'll know where to fish the stick marsh and some of the tamaimi trail cuts to catch some big hawgs.

Bobby
Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Back from fla. fishin

Thanks for the heads up about the gold back..I used to fish it that way but many in Florida fish it as a jerk bait..I believe I will try it look like you sugested..a shallow running crankbait..makes sense to me..I'm glad you got some fish..I had heard Stick Marsh was turning off.too much pressure my friend..During the spawn though you could have most likely pulled out some serious hawgs..
Chuck7
Old 07-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck, the fish we caught in the stick marsh were big bodied in relationship to there weight. They appeared to be heaverier than there actual weight, which means I which I was there for the spawn but was too late. We fished the dams as first and it was nothing to see a dozen gators as a given time. There were a lot of trash fish like the gar and mud fish that were a nuisance and the bass we did catch were dinks as we drifted down the canal from the dam. The next morning we went to the stumps and we caught some nice bass, my biggest being a 4.8 lber on the gold back. My brother used the jerk method on the rapala but didn't do as good as I when I was working it a couple foot down as a crank bait. When he was watching me though I would act like I was jerking it so he would think that because he wasn't doing near as good as I using it as a crank. [:-]I tried goldback and blue back rattle traps but they kept getting hung up. The stumps is the place to go but the right time of the year is important too, also I only saw a gator or two while in the stumps so it not too far from the ramp, a small jon boat like yours would be ok. The game warden was out there when we were there but we didn't get chequed. Keep in mind that bass are catch and release only. Good Luck.

Bobby
Old 07-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Chuck, the fish we caught in the stick marsh were big bodied in relationship to there weight.Amen..Matt caught a 7.1 last year that was only 21inches long..They appeared to be heaverier than there actual weight, which means I which I was there for the spawn but was too late. Yes sir..they spawned early this year..I missed it too.[:@][:@]We fished the dams as first and it was nothing to see a dozen gators as a given time.WOW!![] Matt andI had one harass us 2 weeks ago..I now carry my 38 in the tackle box..They are mating now and lose thier fear of man quite a bit. The other morning I arrived at dark..I had my pistol on the bow..until daylight..There were a lot of trash fish like the gar and mud fish that were a nuisance and the bass we did catch were dinks as we drifted down the canal from the dam. From all my studying ..Stick Marsh is now charisteristic of any lake thst gets BIG TIME pressure..It's nationally known..My best rig for big time pressure is fishing a worm slow..But the good thing is knowing that there are lots of monster bass in there.

The next morning we went to the stumps and we caught some nice bass, my biggest being a 4.8 lber on the gold back. My brother used the jerk method on the rapala but didn't do as good as I when I was working it a couple foot down as a crank bait.Hey, because of you I started yesterday fishing my gold and black Rapala..just the way you suggested..I almost boated a dink..BUT was so successful dragging a worm with a 2nd rod I ended up fishing worm only..I think your set up looks very deadly though and I do use that occasionally..Congrats by the way on those fish..Those are great fish for summer time Florida fish.When he was watching me though I would act like I was jerking it so he would think that because he wasn't doing near as good as I using it as a crank.good one.. [:-]I tried goldback and blue back rattle traps but they kept getting hung up. The stumps is the place to go but the right time of the year is important too, also I only saw a gator or two while in the stumps so it not too far from the ramp, a small jon boat like yours would be ok. THANKS MAN!!! That made my day. The game warden was out there when we were there but we didn't get chequed. Keep in mind that bass are catch and release only. Good Luck.
Good deal..I appreciate the heads up..
Questions..

1.About how many yds are the stumps from the ramp.?

2.Do I go east, west south or north when heading for the stumps.from the ramp?

3.Were there alot of other boats there?

4. How was the ramp?

5. How deep is stick marsh?

6.How many miles off of highway 60 is it..about..

7. Were there signs?? was it easy to find?

8.What color is the water..clear ,,stained tanic ..or green?

9.What kind of vegetation did you notice..hydrilla, ..kissemmee grass, ..water lilies / lotus ..eel grass..cat tails ...pickeral weed??

10 Is there a convience store near by?

Thanks man..
Old 07-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck, we came from I-95 to hwy 60 to sr 512/Babcock st to fellsmere. Stick marsh turn off is maybe 7 miles north of 60 and signs indicating. Canal 54 runs east and west and the 7 mile drive along it to the boat ramp is a long dirt road seperating brevard county and indian river county. (E&W canal) The water at the stick is tainted in colour and the stumps we connected with some nice bass were just outside the ramp going sw. Just because you don't see stumps doesn't mean there not there. Depending on the wind, let it drift you and conserve battery power but the sw part of the stickmarsh is when we finally located them. Water depth from 4 ft to 14ft + -. When fishing it you have to visualize a submerged orange grove and how its contoured. In rows. My brother and I lost some big boys and my brother had a 10 lb plus hooked and broke the water and lost it but I acted as I didn't see it.Its taken us a few years to pattern them but I know where to go next time when I go and I know what to use. Each body of water is different and homework helps over a period of a few years. We went to Palm Bay and got a room at Super 8 for $51.00 and were on the water 45 minutes later at daybreak. If you want to catch some big bass, thats the place to go but I'm sure if I went there earlier I could of caught some nicer size hawgs. I think I be back there by the end of the year and try it again when it isn't so hot and during the spawn.

Bobby
Old 07-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks man..60 is only 10 ,miles from my house and Stick Marsh about 70 miles..I need to go on out there soon..
Thanks for the head's up
c7
Old 07-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

sounds like it was another good trip, you need to go during feb.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

MTHands

Bingo
Old 07-14-2008, 04:53 PM

def... sounds like a good trip how long did yall fish two days??
Old 07-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands

I totally agree and donations are gladly accepted. Sponsors too are welcome.

Duck, we fished two days in the hot sun, first day really sucked. Second day was great fishing the stumps. My brother was skunked most of the first day and had yet to land a 14"er. We fished a couple of dams and it was nothing but gatorville and we wasted a lot of fuel and time in figuring this out. Damn dams sucked. The stumps were producing until we left in the afternoon.
I don't mind sharing it because it is catch/release only for bass as the GW was there and as we were leaving the biologist was unloading his blow boat. I understand that some bass are implanted with a chip and the feds track it like a gps. That is good because I just enjoy bass fishin if I know theres big 8lb plus range possible to catch. Wait till next time.

Bobby