HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Back from fla. fishin
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Chuck7
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Back from fla. fishin

Chuck, the fish we caught in the stick marsh were big bodied in relationship to there weight.Amen..Matt caught a 7.1 last year that was only 21inches long..They appeared to be heaverier than there actual weight, which means I which I was there for the spawn but was too late. Yes sir..they spawned early this year..I missed it too.[:@][:@]We fished the dams as first and it was nothing to see a dozen gators as a given time.WOW!![] Matt andI had one harass us 2 weeks ago..I now carry my 38 in the tackle box..They are mating now and lose thier fear of man quite a bit. The other morning I arrived at dark..I had my pistol on the bow..until daylight..There were a lot of trash fish like the gar and mud fish that were a nuisance and the bass we did catch were dinks as we drifted down the canal from the dam. From all my studying ..Stick Marsh is now charisteristic of any lake thst gets BIG TIME pressure..It's nationally known..My best rig for big time pressure is fishing a worm slow..But the good thing is knowing that there are lots of monster bass in there.

The next morning we went to the stumps and we caught some nice bass, my biggest being a 4.8 lber on the gold back. My brother used the jerk method on the rapala but didn't do as good as I when I was working it a couple foot down as a crank bait.Hey, because of you I started yesterday fishing my gold and black Rapala..just the way you suggested..I almost boated a dink..BUT was so successful dragging a worm with a 2nd rod I ended up fishing worm only..I think your set up looks very deadly though and I do use that occasionally..Congrats by the way on those fish..Those are great fish for summer time Florida fish.When he was watching me though I would act like I was jerking it so he would think that because he wasn't doing near as good as I using it as a crank.good one.. [:-]I tried goldback and blue back rattle traps but they kept getting hung up. The stumps is the place to go but the right time of the year is important too, also I only saw a gator or two while in the stumps so it not too far from the ramp, a small jon boat like yours would be ok. THANKS MAN!!! That made my day. The game warden was out there when we were there but we didn't get chequed. Keep in mind that bass are catch and release only. Good Luck.
Good deal..I appreciate the heads up..
Questions..

1.About how many yds are the stumps from the ramp.?

2.Do I go east, west south or north when heading for the stumps.from the ramp?

3.Were there alot of other boats there?

4. How was the ramp?

5. How deep is stick marsh?

6.How many miles off of highway 60 is it..about..

7. Were there signs?? was it easy to find?

8.What color is the water..clear ,,stained tanic ..or green?

9.What kind of vegetation did you notice..hydrilla, ..kissemmee grass, ..water lilies / lotus ..eel grass..cat tails ...pickeral weed??

10 Is there a convience store near by?

Thanks man..