Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fireline Review

Old 06-06-2005, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fireline Review

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

Im kinda thinkin Joshkeller is still stuck in the old school of bass fishing LOL guys take advantage of the new tackle technologies out there thats why they are there.
Nope, but when theres money on the line, im using 30 lb mono, and im crossing his eyes and bringing him aboard... in one single motion

LOL to each his own , myself I like to play with the fish and fight it a bit before landing it. I get a real kick out of using light line feels like a big time achievement to land a big fish on light line.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I use fireline I spool up my reels with a monofilament then I use a blood knot and attach the fire line to the mono and spool up the last 40 to 50 yards of the spools capacity with the fireline. This past saturday I tryed some 30 lbs fireline and also tried a can of that reel magic line and reel lubricant some really good stuff made it real easy to cast that heavier fireline also added about 20% to my casting distance. Guys if you are gonna do the fireline thing deffinately try some reel magic you wont be disappointed also worked awesome on my other reels with mono
Old 06-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have been using the Reel Magic since it came out. I really like it as well. I am a big Fire Line fan too.

From what I have seen of it I really like the new Stren Super Braid.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I'll try it.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

I use to use Fire Line for bass fishing and it is a good tuff line, but I switched to Power Pro because it is thinner, and not as stiff. It also doesn't leave your fingers black. From now on I will be using Power Pro.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I used Fireline today. I honestly did not care for it.Too thick and stiff. I'm a firm believer that the fish can see the line so I try to use thin line even at the risk of breaking off. I've caught lots of big fish on 10lb. Trilene. I would rather get the bites instead of the security of not being broken off. I may leave it on my flipping rod for severe situations but I have no confidence in it at all as far as getting bites. I generally get about 20 hits where I go at.With Fireline today I got 2. It does cast a mile though.

Just an honest opinion.
Chuck
Old 06-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always smack the hook in 'em with fireline or powerpro, the more hook in 'em the better!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

We used Fireline for a very long time 20-30 pound and we got all kinds of bass from 12" to 23", 15-20 a day where we go. The Fire line never affected them. We tied it right to the hook with no leader. Overall I like the Power Pro better.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't fish alot of tournaments so I'm not too pressured. However; I don't like loosing fish either. I have honestly reeled in 10 foot gators on ten pond test. The drag will do that for ya. I did lose a nice gar yesterday though. Bit that Trilene right in half at the boat. Last year a friend of mine and I were flipping. He hooked a super hog.. After a while she layed on top of the bent over cat-tails. She was at least 9 pounds.Thick fish. She had swallowed the worm so it wasn't coming out. She was just out of reach.About 1 foot out of reach. I was extended as far as i could reach. She had gtten the boat stuck in the reeds.If it was my fish I would have gone in after her. The fish slowly moved her head back and forth...the sandpaper like mouth slowly cut the Trilene in half. He started crying as he watched his trophy slowly fan her tail backward back into the lake. TOOOOO Bad.
Chuck
Old 06-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never noticed a lack of hits using fireline but I could not say it doesn't happen. I use mostly the Hi Vis green fireline. Many walleye fisherman use a short leader of Vanish or some other invisable leader with fireline. I jig for Walleye with the hi vis green and no leader and seem to get a good number of hits. Maybet next time out I will carry one spool of fireline and another spooled strung with Vanish.