Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bow Review

Old 09-02-2008, 07:38 PM
MJ1

Default Bow Review

looking for a new bow? Here are some brief reviews of my 8 favorite bows I tested. Most of you know the specs so I will just give my opinion on how they felt to shoot.
All these bows were shot at 60lbs and had all the accessories and a stabilizer
1. Bowtech Guardian. grip felt good, draw was smooth. I was surprised to feel a bit of vibration. speedy bow
2. Hoyt Katera, very smooth draw, 60lbs seemed easy. small vibration.
3. Bowtech General same as guardian but dead in hand.
4. pse xforce ss. this bow is little, 26 inches, draw felt like 70lbs, but it was dead in the hand. Holds nice at full draw. Fun bow to shoot due to the size and speed.
5. Ross Cardiac and G5 Quest 31 inch ax. both had smooth draws, dead in hand. nice price tag on these bows.
6. Parker Blackhawk, nice bow smooth and dead in hand. this bow is quick. nice price tag
7. alpine silverado, grip was kind of odd, draw felt like I was pulling less than 60 lbs. At full draw the bow felt like 95% letoff, very easy to hold. dead in hand
8. Diamond Black Ice. 60lbs felt like 50. very and I mean very smooth draw. dead in hand after the shot.

Diamond, parker and G5/ross were my favs. The diamond was the easiest to shoot. I wish it had a higher ibo oh well. Hope this review helps someone, I know it just made me more confused on which bow to buy.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 PM

Default RE: Bow Review

I was having the same issue a week ago and I went with the General and haven't had any second thoughts...The best all around bow I have ever shot hands down!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

1. Bowtech Guardian. grip felt good, draw was smooth. I was surprised to feel a bit of vibration. speedy bow
2. Hoyt Katera, very smooth draw, 60lbs seemed easy. small vibration.
3. Bowtech General same as guardian but dead in hand.
4. pse xforce ss. this bow is little, 26 inches, draw felt like 70lbs, but it was dead in the hand. Holds nice at full draw. Fun bow to shoot due to the size and speed.
5. Ross Cardiac and G5 Quest 31 inch ax. both had smooth draws, dead in hand. nice price tag on these bows.
6. Parker Blackhawk, nice bow smooth and dead in hand. this bow is quick. nice price tag
7. alpine silverado, grip was kind of odd, draw felt like I was pulling less than 60 lbs. At full draw the bow felt like 95% letoff, very easy to hold. dead in hand
8. Diamond Black Ice. 60lbs felt like 50. very and I mean very smooth draw. dead in hand after the shot.

One man's opinion.......

Guardian- I didn't like the draw. Seemed like A LOT of cam lean.

Silverado (Sabre)-Great bow-FAST-Accurate-Draw was a little harsh-The camo finishon mine was bad..Alpine said that "it happends" and did NOTHING.

Cardiac- Not as fast as I expected. Nice draw. Well built.

X-Force(dream Season)-Nice bow! Super Fast, but suffer at the draw. Some shock, but do-able.

Out of the bows listed I would shoot the Parker (I always have a soft spot for Parker's) before you buy. But, the Ross/G5's are the best built IMHO. The Black Ice is a great bow too, but the Marquis is a touch nicer for the extra $35-$40.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Cam lean is very fixable.....
Old 09-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Spike

Cant go wrong with the katera.

[hr]

07 Bowtech Tribute 70#
Easton Axis N-Fused 28 1/2" w/100gr 2-Blade RAGE
Spott Hog Sight
STS string stopper
Trophy Ridge Dropzone Rest
Doinker Stabilizer
294 Fps
Old 09-23-2008, 08:37 PM

MJ1,

I was home on leave earlier this month and I bought the Ross Cardiac after shooting the Katera. I don't why but it really drew my attention. It just seems like it is built to perfection. I understand evryone is in the new league for speed, but I really enjoyed the really smooth draw on the Ross. I think with a little of Bowtechs help this bow is really something worth spending your money on. It wasn't hard to plink down the green when the price was over 150 less. I got the bow for 600 piad 200 for accessories. I was able to save 400 dollars which meant my wife also got a new bow. I will honestly say this bow is the real mccoy. It shoots great and my shoulder feels ten times better then when I shoot my Darton Maverick. I hope whatever choice you make, you are happy. My Ross shoots great.

Ross Cardiac 31

Justin
Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

I went with the Guardian and my buddy with the black ice. Neither of us have any regrets about our purchases.