Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Talk about a dumb move.. >

Talk about a dumb move..

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Talk about a dumb move..

Old 05-29-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Talk about a dumb move..

Today would defintely be the scariest day on the water i've ever experienced. Took my flatbottom out on the Mississippi for the first time this year to get it going(been fishing in the Lund or with friends) and drove around..well, Around here, there's alot of rich people that come up from the big cities to drive their Baja's and cabin cruisers and pontoon's with V-8's and 225's, so theres alot of traffic. my boat was getting all pushed around and the trolling motor bracket got busted loose, so i had my dad pick it up and went out with two friends to cruise on their 18' pontoon. after driving for a while, we were passing a huge cabin cruiser throwing a deep wake.

I was standing up on the front deck(behind the rail) and saw the trough of the wake was probably 5 feet deep.The boat nose dived into the trough and water came up fast. i was knocked to my feet as the boat went under.I sucked in some water, popped up, got my bearings and was about to swim for shore when the boat came back up under me..we had about 1/3 of the boat under water..luckily, we were fine and just sat there for about 5 mins because we were all so stunned. Just happening that fast and knowing it could have been much worse really gets to a person. defintely from now on am going to take more caution when heading out on the River...

slayer
Old 05-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Talk about a dumb move..

Yeah, I'd say thats a rough day! There are many people down here too, that have absolutely NO business operating a boat! I am a shift worker, so I am lucky enough to be able to go out during the week, when there are not that many people on the water!
I did go fishing one Saturday a few weeks ago. I had to come in early though! The same places that I had all to myself during the week, had skiers, and cruisers nearly swamping my flatbottom, into the Cypress knees that I was trying to fish! Most of them are rookie boaters that just don't know what their wakes can do, others are just rude, and don't give a $#@%!!!!
Anyway, sounds like you had a rough day, but you were lucky to come out of it OK!
Now that summer is here, there will be way too many nuts on the water!
Old 05-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

gota be careful on rivers with other boats.....i know what you mean about the big ones.....and bajas cruising around 70-80mph.......man i love the sound of them things though!!! you should hit a wake from a BARGE!.....i did it on tubes and knee boards.......tube one time i hit a wake that was 4-5 foot high.....i was about 10foot in the air...landed it the first time...my uncle came back through and let me hit it again......i was about the same height...but the tube wasnt under me after i hit the wake!!!! man did that hurt.......but the boat was fine and would go right through the wakes at the right speed and angle..........some of them boaters are plair careless though........we tipped jetskis a few times because they thought it would be funny to fly by us and cut us off.........
Old 05-30-2005, 04:35 PM

Fools with large fast boats are not limited to the big rivers. We get more than our share up here on all different types of water. In most cases I believe its LOTS OF MONEY and NO RESPECT for others. Comercail traffic is different - you should watch out for them.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same problem around here on the Ocean,Delaware Bay and Chesapeake. Full of "Tourons"(Tourist Mourons) that have no respect for anybody(maybe their Mothers). Let a school od Blues or Rock Fish start feeding and your talkin about some serious Road Rage on the water....Crazy!

Throw in a few bass tourneys on the local tidal rivers and a guy in a small boat ain't got a chance in hell.