Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Too much talk about equipment & not enough talk about fitness & nutrition. >

Too much talk about equipment & not enough talk about fitness & nutrition.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too much talk about equipment & not enough talk about fitness & nutrition.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Too much talk about equipment & not enough talk about fitness & nutrition.

I am not here to bash ANYONE I am guilty of the same thing myself. I see a ton of posts related to equipment ( bow, arrows, rests & broadheads.) I don't ever recall seeing a post on fitness & nutrition?
This is an example of a "standard post"
Question: I am from abc, New York. I am planning my first elk hunt in Colorado this fall. What poundage should my bow be set at? Will my mechanical broadheads work?
Will there be snow on September 15 thru 20? What calls should I use?

(Someone from xyz, Illinios will reply with the standard answer) Standard Answer: Your bow should be set at 70-pounds. Only cut-on-contact broadheads will work. The weather should be mild in September. Hoochie mama cow calls work the best. Great in shape.

Maybe I am getting burned out? What does get in shape mean? Should a person be able to run one mile, five miles, marathons or ultra-marathons??? How do you know when you are in good shape? What does a good "everyday" diet consist of???
I am only asking these question becase I am looking for a good diet & exercise plan to follow?

Thanks,

Wolf Killer
Old 04-12-2005, 03:16 PM

Default RE: Too much talk about equipment & not enough talk about fitness & nutrition.

I have heard of people killing elk with a 40# bow with a good cut on contact head. I would use somthing like a Magnus Stinger. Keep you shots in close.

Nah, I have heard that you do a lot of stalking while hunting elk. You also hunt them in hilly terrain. You should be able to walk great distances with all of your gear.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too much talk about equipment & not enough talk about fitness & nutrition.

WK,
I'm guilty as well,I usally don't start to excercise till summer,when there is no hunting to do,so I run.I do try to stay with a 2500 cal. diet and stay active through the year.I belong to the gym in Lewistown,I go 2 nights a week,I keep it light I run 2 miles and work on my legs with weight and keep it light on the weights and upper body,I'm packing enough upper body as it is.When summer hits I quit going to the gym and run the dirt roads out by the house.Then in July I cut my calories down to 1500 a day start the weights and try to tone up.
Hit the vitamins and stay away from McDonalds,walk as much as you can and if you can get out and hike the hills.I do this alot fishing in the summer walk the rivers and crick banks also row boats down the Missiouri.
All I can say about food is try and stay away from high fat foods,pastries,cakes,pasta's,if you are a big pop drinker try and cut that back,caffine,beer(one of my favorites) and liqours(alot of sugar in alcahol)
Eat fresh vegies any chance you get,I love salad bars(no salad dodger here).
Hope this helps,I'm no doctor and maybe you should set up a appointment with a dietition one day.
BBJ
Old 04-12-2005, 03:31 PM

I did really good today .......... and my bastard co-worker left a glazed donut and a creme filled cake donut in the breakroom and I had a major setback [:@]
Old 04-12-2005, 03:33 PM

Good topic and right on the mark. Yep, I'm from WI and no we don't have much for terrain to climb, but I do try to stay as fit as possible over the winter months, so that come spring and summer, I'm "almost" there :-) Ride a stationary bike, work out on the Total Gym and keep eating lots of veggies and fruit. You can be very fit and lean, but the altitude will still get a person. Thats why when I head for the moutnains, I typically try to get there a few days ahead of time to aclimate as best I can to the altitude. You also want to try to shoulder your weapon (bow on this thread) just as you finish out with a rep of work outs...imitate running and trying to intercept a bull.

I'm going on my first archey elk hunt this fall. I've taken a few bulls with both rifle and front stuffer, but really can't wait for this one.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think a fittness plan with a diet low in fat high in protien with as many fruits and vegtables as one can eat is best. 2000 calorie a day with less than 20 grms fat.Exercise would be running and weight lifting in an arobic style. A program for the mind as well to keep it fit which would involve plenty of reading. Also do what is possible to reduce as much unneeded stress. Mix that up with love of hunting and family with thankfulness to God and I figure a person would be able to hunt anyway they choose well into their 80's maybe slowing down in their 90's.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:23 PM

Good question. Last summer I carried 50 lbs of lead shot in a camelbak five nights a week up and down trails with the dog. Three miles on work nights and six miles on days off. Lost 15 lbs and lost 5 more on an August pack trip with scouts. Nobody could out-walk me up hills last year (except the elk, of course). Kept it off for hunting season, then look out! It's them coworkers donuts, I tell ya! Just started on the camelbak again last week with 60 lbs.

Looking forward to more answers to this one.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well about 6 weeks ago I got tired of of being heavier than I ever had so I made the choice to get back into shape. I am now down 20llbs and have built my endurance up. I still have 20 lbs to go, and I need to add another mile a day to my workouts, but I am on my way. I feel a lot better and I know it will help me come fall.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't know why we talk so much about equipment and hunting. I mean, gee whiz, it's a hunting site with hunting equipment and all those things. Now if I really wanted to worry about fitness I'd take a Genny Craig class or buy her tape, or maybe palaties, or curves or one of those things. Hey, then you got to get into a whole new wardrobe which whacks into your hunting funds. This reduces our ability to buy more gear which will reduce tech talk and before you know it... we'll all be yuppies with Jane Fonda tapes and HNI will cease to exist. NOPE, stamp out Jane Fonda... stay fat and slow and wheeze when you climb those stairs. For those of you who want to turn this bowhunting forum into a Curves Gym.... go here ... http://www.roughfit.com/modules.php

Me, I'm going out for a smoke.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hunting is a physical activity. I see no problems in discussing how to make ones self in better physical shape. It could save someone's life while they are trying to drag out a deer, or climb a steep mountainside.

I pretty much stay in decent shape year round, its a lifestyle I live. yea I'll have my times when I'll slack off a little, but its usually never for too long.

Quick Reply: Too much talk about equipment & not enough talk about fitness & nutrition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.