Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Wal Mart?

Old 05-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wal Mart?

Todd, I know where your coming from with the gunshops in Selma..and I am sure you were talking about Walter Craig. Yes they are run by total buttholes
Yep, thats the place. Where are you from and how are you familiar with them?

I haven't been in there in a couple of years now. The last straw for me was when they refused to order a gun for me. I guess a 600 dollar sale just wasn't worth the inconvenience of having to make one phone call. You can bet if I had been one of their buddies or one of the local fat cats whose ass they kiss they would have sang a different tune. I can't stand a place or people like that.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I e-mailed a friend whose wife works at Wal-Mart when this debate first heated up. I told him about the debate here and asked him about what benefits his wife has as a Wal-Mart employee. Here is his reply.

Paula gets blue cross blueshield. long and short term disability insurance..for 95 dollars per month.a 401 k with 12 choices of mutual funds and company match...Profit sharing that is fully company funded..also for every 10 dollars in stock u buy they put in a dollar and a half..that's 15% return to start. She also gets Dental insurance included,and prescription drug discounts. Also we both get a 10% discount card ,and I don't even work there ..her sick time turns into personnel time .Also Wal-Mart DOES NOT pay minimum wage..Every one starts over that..Paula makes 11 per hour..with 5 per cent cost of living wage each year plus any promotions. A lot of school kids and older retired people do work part time, that's where they get the stats that look bad. If you stick with it as a full time employee as Paula has its a good second job for a family.. Most of the women who work there and a lot of the men CAME from mom and pop stores..Bedsoles???..Miss Bess and Mary jean and Shea all worked at bedsoles...NO Benefits at ALL and lower pay.
Wal-Mart is the number one company on a lot of lists as best to work for, not to mention Number 1 on the Fortune 500 list as the largest company..
As Wal-Mart has grown this big they have become a huge target...Unions hate them..But ask why no Wal-Mart store has ever voted for union.. if it was so bad the workers wood be marching for union!
A wall street guru, I saw on TV said Wal-Mart had almost single handed kept inflation down over the last 10 years in the USA.
Wal-Mart is not a get rich silicon valley company that pays 100000 per year but for Alabama its like entering the 20 century for a lot of workers.
Ohh by the way.. I'm looking at the CHOICE of blue cross plans..You can get a 1000 deductible if u want..its cheaper than Paula's and a good deal for young people, but , they range from 100 to 1000.. you get what u pay for..But most companies don't even give u a choice..Wal-Mart pays 65 dollars a month for Paula she pays 95..that's for her and britney..I can be added if I need to..Family for the town of pine hill is 200 per month
..Most bread winners in a family would not want to work at walmart unless they were in management, but as a second income i think its great.. Paula could have moved into upper management already, she is as high as she can get and not be subject to moving to a different store.. She has been working only 7 years
I think that should about put this puppy to bed. Compared to the mom and pop stores I think the locals here are waaaay better off. And I know I am. Lets break it down.

1.Prices?--no contest. Even the people on here that hate Wal-Mart admit nobody can beat their prices.

2.Store Hours?--No contest. Wal-Mart superstores are open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. In fact not only are their hours great but in order to compete with Wal-Mart many of the other stores here have had to shift to more people friendly hours as well. Most places here now stay open until at least 6 pm everyday some till 10 pm and gone is the practice of closing at 12 noon on Wednesday, 12 noon on Saturday and all day on Sunday. All thanks to Wal-mart.

3. Customer Service? I've never been mistreated in a Wal-Mart store and I've been in 6 different stores in Alabama, 2 in Mississippi and even 1 in Illinois. I have never had a problem with returning an item either and have even done so without a receipt on numerous occasions. With Mom and Pop stores its hit or miss. In places I know the people personally I have always been well treated but where that isn't the case I have had some real horror stories too long to go into now.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post Todd. I would just like to see more American made stuff in there. Those low prices put so much pressure on companies that they end up moving the factories overseas to accomplish them and still be profitable....and in the end those great prices are just gonna end up hurting more than helping us. I guess at least the guns are mostly American though....lol. I have dug up a lot of stuff on my researching them...more bad than good. But its a good debate cause I think everybody has learned something.

BTW I also forgot...welcome aboard TupeloSGA..
Old 05-08-2004, 07:41 PM

Thanks to all of you who have welcomed me. I have enjoyed being a part of this debate. I believe that everyone who has posted a reply has brought up some very strong points. Everyone has their own opinions of Wal-Mart, good and bad. Everyone has had their own experiences at Wal-Mart, again some good and bad. Thanks for this opportunity.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:22 AM

A woman.....at a gun counter? 1st mistake!
Old 05-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wnogood

A woman.....at a gun counter? 1st mistake!

wnogood I've known some females that have forgotten more about firearms then some men will ever know.That was a cheap shot you gave. I admit it's not the norm,but everyone regardless of gender deserves chance to prove themselves.I've dealt with men in different types of stores that probably couldn't tell you what day of the week it was let alone something technical.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-09-2004, 11:27 AM

RR, I know exactly what you mean!!! My last wife could out shoot me with my pistol, and my current, soon to be wife, loves my SBE since she was able to knock down more clays than me the first time she picked it up. [:@]

But I'm hoping that he was just kidding around.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Danny thanks for your support, I hope he was kidding too?. I didn't want to offend him (or anybody else)but we all need to think before we put our mouths(fingers) in gear. Taking shots at people's Race ,color ,creed.religion and gender is not necessary.......Let the person prove themselves before making judgement against them.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

Doe Dumper,

Have to agree with most of the post here about Wal-Mart. However, I'm guilty because I have bought 3 or 4 guns from them over the years. I was luck for several years, had a niece that ran the sporting goods section at our local WM, she hunted and fished, so her knowledge of sporting goods was better than most. Sad to say, she got married and they moved to Alaska. After her, another lady took over and she too hunted and fished, again lucky for a while. Truly sad to say, she got sick and had to quit work. Now the ones' that run the sporting goods section are lost.

I went to the web site you posted on WM and heard something similar over 10 years ago from a local business man. Him and his father ran several of the old 5 & dime stores over the years. The son was in his late 70's when he died. About 10 yrs ago he told me WM was destroying the small business, to include the manufacturers. He explained exactly what the site stated, WM would make the manufacturers sale so cheap that they eventually would go out of business.

Back to buying guns, etc., I mostly buy from gun shops, have to travel about 50 miles to get to the good ones, when I could go 20 miles to Wally World. As I said, I have bought guns from WM, but prefer a good gun shop any day.

And back to the original post on the guns at Wal-Mart. The few I have bought from them have been ok, no problems.

dog1
Old 05-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

I need to clear up something I said in my last post on Wal-Mart. I said I agree with most post about them. Well, mouth was in gear before brain was.

When I said the folks in sporting goods was lost, I should have said, lost about firearms. Also, I don't care who is working the section, just about every person I've come into contact (employees) with have always been courteous and as helpful as possible. As a matter of fact my daughter used to work for Wally world.

Whew! Hope I cleared my statement up. My daughter and her husband read these forums and I know I've got a whuping comin when they see this. Probably can forget my fathers' day gift next month and my birthday. Surely they won't forget Xmas to!

dog1

Quick Reply: Wal Mart?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.