Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Rem 673 Guide Gun - .308 or .243 cal. >

Rem 673 Guide Gun - .308 or .243 cal.

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Rem 673 Guide Gun - .308 or .243 cal.

Old 01-08-2004, 04:57 PM

Default RE: Rem 673 Guide Gun - .308 or .243 cal.

Hi biglmbass,

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. (My mother-in-law passed away on the 29th of December....and we buried her New Years Eve.) So I've been on and off this site sporadically....(to help relieve tension).

But to answer your questions. Yes....I can see the front sight through the field of view of the scope. No...it does not bother me...or interfere with my ability to get on target....or shoot. I have had quite a few number of rifles that when scoped I could still see the front sight through the field of view...and it has never hindered or bothered me at all.

Using factory loads (and they are from an old run before Remington discontinued the .350 Remington Magnum back in 97 or 98) I was approximating 1 1/2" to 2" at 100 yards. But that was with a quick zero session and I haven't yet put two boxes of ammo through the rifle. (Plus it was cold, windy, and cloudy, that day. All conditions not conducive to giving the rifle a real workout.) I am certain that with some more range time...and a little more care on the bench....I can bring those group sizes down. And like I said, I haven't tried the "new run" of ammo yet.

Plus there are a couple of companies that will custom load nearly any caliber, cartridge, bullet, combination you'd care to try. (Though they can be expensive.) I am fairly confident that I can improve the group sizes to a degree...but in truth....for my intended use of this rifle....if it never shot under an inch and a half...it would still meet my needs. What I am looking forward to is doing some load development with premium bullets of between 225 to 250 grains. These I intend to put to use in Alaska.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:27 AM

Thanks for answering my questions. Can I assume the front sight is easily removed by a screw?

I'd say yours is a fairly accurate gun. Furthermore, I'd be surprised if you can't squeeze 1" groups out of it w/ a load that it likes and while shooting in less than monsoon style winds. I can certainly live w/ groups that size from a hunting gun.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:47 AM

bump