Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Bullet Placement

Old 01-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullet Placement

Adjacent to our hunting lease is a large WMA.Every year I like to make my rounds after season to see what maham has occured.
I have seen many - many deer that went off and died after being shot by Daniel Boone types.A few were obviously Jaw Shot that obvioulsy did not drop dead.

2 years ago one of the hunters on our farm shot a deer with a 50 cal smoke pole.4 of us looked for 2 hours that night and the following day - no deer,no blood,or hair!

Long Story Short;
About 5 days later I shot the deer/Doe.I won't go into detail on what I saw,heard or the condition of this deers organs after 5-6 days.
If you've ever seen a Jaw Shot deer on the hoof a few days after the wound you would never think about attempting such a shot.

When you speak of shot placement and the humane/meat excuse all in one breathe it just don't wash with me.

I can see a good Neck Shot on occasion - But - Head Shots.

I think the military might have room for a few good men that get into Head Shots - Snipers in IRAQ Over there you can be all you can be with the Head Shot thing.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been to a few WMA's and there are quite a few yeahoos there, but I bet the wounded deer you find were probably not intentionally shot in the face, there just not good enough to even get that close to the head. LOL.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm curious... When you guys are talking about accidental "jaw shots" are you referring to a particular location on the jaw? Seems to me that as long as the bullet hits behind a vertical line drawn through front of the ear, in other words, where the jaw bone curves upwardstheshot is going to kill the deer, because, the bullet and all the bone fragments etc. will sever the jugular.

I hit one there, at a distance of 10 yards with my .30-06. I was told to make a head shot by the guy who was my host on his lease, because it was going to be his deer, and he didn't want to waste any meat. I had the crosshairs a bit higher, but didn't think about how the height of the scope over the barrel and how it would affect bullet placement at that close of a range. She dropped in her tracks, kicked a couple of times, and bled out:

The other side wasn't quite so pretty...
Old 01-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I go for the heart/lung shot or the high shoulder I wouldn't attemp a head shot....
Old 01-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scott thats a perfect shot and will anchor them Immediately evertime.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Scott thats a perfect shot and will anchor them Immediately evertime.
Always done the trick for me, and it works good on hogs, too.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

It worked great, but, it's still a jaw shot.Theprojectile, and bone fragments creating a gaping exit wound and it took very little time for herto bleed out. That's why I'm curious as to what everyone is referring to in this thread. Based on how this shot worked, I have to assume that when folks are talking about a jaw shot here, they must talking about hits to the jaw that are lower and forward of where my shot hit.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Put that shot a little forward of the eyes and you have a deer left to suffer a slow, painful death! And 100% meat loss too, I might add! But what the hell, you still have your deer tag to use again!
I doubt we will change the minds of those who are set upon this shot! I know that if I were being shot at, with the slightest chance of an error being made, I'd much prefer that you were aiming for the center of my chest, and if anyone cared to honestly admit, they would too!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I don't ordinarily take this shot. I've done it twice, once at ten yards (shown), and once at 40 yards (right at the base of the ear), both with the same result. Both times were at the request of the guy who lets me hunt, and both times were from a blind with a rock solid rest. It's not a shot I'd take otherwise. And, from that distance, I know I'm good enough not to miss by the 3-4 inches it would take to hit "a little forward of the eyes."
Old 01-22-2007, 05:29 PM

There not griping about the shots that kill, there talkin about the WHAT IF factor. What if the head moves, what if the deer takes a step. All good points and to that i still say Take shots you are comfortable and confident you can make. Dont just shoot your gun 2-3 times a year and go tryin to get a head/neck shot on animal. It does take a more patience and alot more bullet/gun control.

Quick Reply: Bullet Placement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.