Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Bullet Placement

Old 01-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullet Placement

Old 01-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I am 40 years old and remember the very first thing I killed, it was a sparrow and that was 34 years ago at the age of 4 with a bb-gun. Two years later I was toting a Daisy pellet gun. I remember the day like it was yesterday, me and my dad picked it up from sears, we were on the way to his lease. I shot my very first small game animal that weekend, a rabbitt, with a head shot of course. I can clearly remeber those first kills but cant remeber everyone after that. I have killed over a 100 medium game animals since that time, most with a .243 and most being neck or head shots. I have never lost or wounded an animal with a rifle.
In my early days I killed them with a .22 Hornet. I been around the block a time or two.
My parents were from the 20's. It was nothing for me to bring small game home from around the house and throw them in the sink, mom would clean anything I brought home and cook some of the best eating wild game I ever had. She could cook like no one else. I have eaten everything.
I know what I am doing but seriously doubt that of others here.
I know I said I was done but this time I am. let this thread die, please.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:17 AM

Some years ago we were doing a deer drive at a friends farm here in Iowa. One of the drivers hit a nice 12 pointer in the jaw. I saw it running with the jaw flopping back and forth. We got lucky, my uncle shot it on the run with an old single shot 20 guage (he admitted he got lucky on that one).The person who shot it in the jaw was trying for the shoulder but shotguns are shotguns and running deer are not easy. Had my uncle not hit it in the lungs it would have gotten away. I believe that some deer shot in the jaw die quickly but most don't. IALMOST always aim for the vitals because I am not on the skill level as some of the snipers on this thread and I prefer not to let my deer get away if I can help it. With that said, I have made neck shots in the past when I felt I had no other choice.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you could hit a deer anywere in the head with a high powered rifle and if anything knock the deer out at the very least...

Old 01-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I want to drop an animal in its tracks, the high shoulder shot is what I like best. Its an easy target and they go down fast. It will often require a finishing shot but it will stop them from getting into heavy cover and being lost.