Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Bullet Placement

Old 01-16-2007, 06:40 PM

Default RE: Bullet Placement

ok then, lets just say You shoot where your happy with; and i will shoot where i am happy with. Havnt had one run off and not be found yet. People botch shots all the time; no matter where they are aiming to hit. We took a yearlin when i was around 16 that had its entire rear ham blown to bits by a hunter. I had ganegreen set in, i have seen deer and hogs with arrows sticking out of there ribs. ANY shot can be a botched shot, even myne, even yours.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still waiting to hear someone explain thereasonsfor taking a neck or head shot compared to a heart/lung shot. No one eats deer ribs so damaging edible meat is not a valid reason. The only advantage I can think of is that a hit to the CNS of a deer will produce more dropped right there kills when all goes right compared to the 30 to 40 yard death dash of a heart lung hit. So basically you have people taking a much higher risk shot just so they can brag that the deer hit the ground right where he was standing. And that's a really big deal because,..... because,....... because,...... oh wait, Dang, now that I think about it I realize thatit's completely meaningless whether a deer hits the ground right there or runs 30 yards.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Todd1700

I'm still waiting to hear someone explain thereasonsfor taking a neck or head shot compared to a heart/lung shot. No one eats deer ribs so damaging edible meat is not a valid reason. The only advantage I can think of is that a hit to the CNS of a deer will produce more dropped right there kills when all goes right compared to the 30 to 40 yard death dash of a heart lung hit. So basically you have people taking a much higher risk shot just so they can brag that the deer hit the ground right where he was standing. And that's a really big deal because,..... because,....... because,...... oh wait, Dang, now that I think about it I realize thatit's completely meaningless whether a deer hits the ground right there or runs 30 yards.
Cause it's the most humane way to kill an animal.
Cause you dont want to track an animal in the South Texas brush.
Cause it doesnt ruin meat.
Cause of the thrill factor.
Cause I can.
Cause the less stressed an animal the better the meat.
Cause its getting dark.
Cause I dont want it going in the neighbors property.
Cause I use a.22 in populated areas.
Cause sometimes its the only shot.
Cause it coooooool.

Thats eneough for now.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

ORIGINAL: Todd1700

Cause I can.
Cause its getting dark.
Cause it coooooool.

Thats eneough for now.
Sorry, but that's lame. The shot that most assures a humane kill is the heart/lung.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you always hit just the right spot but not all neck shots die faster than heart lung hits. And some just end up maimed.Besides if I wanted to be humane I guess I wouldn't be shooting the deer in the first place.

I've seen South Texas brush and yeah some of it's bad but no worse than some of the Alabama briar thickets we have to content with and I've never had trouble retrieving a deer shot through the lungs.

Already addressed this one. Neither does a ribcage shot.

Cause I can.
Cause it coooooool.
While I appreciate the honesty,you are making my case instead of your own with comments like these.

Not to insultyour highly refined taste buds but if you can consistently tell the difference in flavor between a deer dropped in his tracks and one that darted 40 yards before it died in a carefully controlled taste test then I will kiss your @$$ under the main redlight in your home town and give you two weeks to draw a crowd of onlookers. A deer that has been run half a mile by a pack of dogs is another story but 30 to 50 yards? No difference.

Cause its getting dark.
They're called flashlights. They come in real handy for those tough 30 yard tracking jobs.

Potentially valid reason but honestly how often is this the case?

Twothings Iwouldn't recommend. Using a .22 on deer or shooting any gun in a populated area.

I am perfectly willing to pass on bad shots and not feel the least bit sad about it. I guess it's the bowhunter in me. I'd rather let a deer walk than risk maiming it any day.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:38 PM
bigcountry

What I want to know is whats this post doing in a firearms review forum. shonuff, whats wrong with the deer hunting forum?

Old 01-17-2007, 07:36 PM

BC: It was a bullet placement thread not limited to deer.

Todd1700, now your just being stupid.
as for 30-40 yards after a heart lung shot, I have seen and had to track deer probly close to a mile before after an ATTEMPTED heart/lung shot from more than one VERY seasoned hunter. If you think for one second im gonna beleave you are a better shot or a better hunter than anyone from my former lease you are sadly mistaken. These are guys been hunting and shooting for 30-40+years and botch shots. How is it "MUCH HIGHER RISK"? There is just as much if not MORE risk involved in the heart lung shot. More area to pull/jerk and wound a animal than my shot choice. If I miss the neck, if im off by 1-2" im still hitting the massive V of the neck and the ballistics of the ammo will do the rest. On hogs I aim like RebelHog said, behind the ear. One Deer i go for the V. Personal pref, you dont have to shoot the same if you dont want to .

and zrexpilot
Cause I can.
Yea I agree with that too.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like some folks like to shoot, but don't like to HUNT!

Aiming for the center of heart/lung area, will give you at least 3X the margin for error, and still be lethal, QUICKLY!

I have never heard of a lung/heart shot deer going any where near a mile before expiring! Most within 50 yards!

"Because I can," is never a good excuse for doing ANYTHING!

Having to track onto another's property and/or other hunters getting your deer, is the best argument that can be given FOR head shots! Weighing that against the things that can go wrong with head shots, MORE than cancels out that factor!

If it weren't so RIDICULOUS, the use of a light, high-power cartridge, because of a populated area would be HILARIOUS!

Keep writing! Your making the BEST argument AGAINST your own self!

Yeah, it may be legal, but sooner or later you'll find out for yourself that its wrong! There's much more to HUNTING than SHOOTING!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

An old Cajun saying: "It is better to leave your keypad idle, and let people think that you are stupid, than to write written proof, for the world to see that you ARE"
Old 01-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

An old Cajun saying: "It is better to leave your keypad idle, and let people think that you are stupid, than to write written proof, for the world to see that you ARE"
ROTFLMAO

Quick Reply: Bullet Placement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.