Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Bullet Placement

Old 01-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullet Placement

Sounds like a guy I worked with that was telling me that he only took neck shots at deer with a bow... Said he did it because he didn't want to waste meat...

You ever talk to a person about deer hunting and you just knew they did'nt know jack about deer hunting... Well this guy was one of them
Old 01-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I call BS to they "never twitched!!!" I had to finish a doe off this season with my RSRH .44 mag with 240 gr. HP's! Without getting into gross details, lets just say she had nothing left between the ears! She kicked and twitched the whole time we were carrying her back to the 4 wheeler! (I know that was just nerves/muscle contractions, but the point is rarely does ANYTHING just drop!)
Besides this, seeing just ONE suffering animal in a lifetime is ENOUGH to discourage head/neck shots! Making a bad shot is one thing, making a dileberate "bad aim" is another!
Old 01-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you just break a jaw bone it is not a fatal shot. Are you going to drop over dead because you got shot in the jaw and had your jaw broke? If they are hit in the jaw and the bullet hits up in the brain or sends bone fragments up there it will kill them. If you dropped over dead from a broken jaw I would of been dead a couple of times.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

With all of the hunting I have done, I have seen one time where a neck shot was my only option, i dropped the deer right there....was I impressed...Absolutely not!!! He was still wheezing and his eyes were moving 5 minutes later. To me with when you consider how animals move their head/neck so constantly and rapidly it makes no sense to purposely always go for this shot..There is one guy at our deer camp who swears by this shot but he has by far the lowest percentage of shots/kill/recovered game.

RIBCAGE ALL THE WAY!!!!

BTW the horror stories of jawless deer staving and suffering is no BS..seen it personally and have heard about it...
Old 01-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

rarely does ANYTHING just drop!

Ya ok !
99% of my shots are head or neck and 100% of those drop on the spot.

Ya some might twitch a bit, LOL.
This one was taken at 225+ yds, he never moved a muscle. .243 right at the base of the neck and head, complete pass through.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

BTW the horror stories of jawless deer staving and suffering is no BS..seen it personally and have heard about it...
No doubt it has happened, the problem is it seems everyone here has seen it. 30 years of hunting I have never seen one get up after being hit at the base of the jaw. I do euro mounts and get a lot of heads each year, I seen my share of jaws missing, but not one of those got up.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

This one was hit right behind the ear, he never twitched.

This one however did, he kicked for at least a minute. Couldnt figure that out as he had a huge hole straight through his neck. How can the legs kick if their not connected to the brain ? Hmmmmm.
.243 again.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is a lot easier to shoot a pig in the head than a deer. We shoot pigs behind the ear as well, but a deers head is a lot smaller target and they are uusually moving. A lot of people say they only take head shots but ask them how many they missed or thought they missed. You could easily be off just a little bit and hit the lower jaw. Personally I don't want to see them suffer if I miss a little.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffS

It is a lot easier to shoot a pig in the head than a deer. We shoot pigs behind the ear as well, but a deers head is a lot smaller target and they are uusually moving.
I dissagree, the vital area of a pigs head is just as small or even smaller than that of a deer. Not to mention pigs are very ijity, they rarely stand still and move with quick twerks. Correct shot placement on a pigs head is behind the ear, or if their looking at you its bettween the ears or an inch high bettween the eyes, their brain area is very small.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm bored. lol
I went and took a pic of one of my hogs skull. Look at the area of the brain,its relatively small to the size of the whole head. Lot of people say they shot a pig in the head but its usually really a neck or jaw shot. heres the pic.
Excuse the webs he hant been cleaned in a while. LOL

Quick Reply: Bullet Placement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.