Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Thompson Contender!!!

Old 11-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Thompson Contender!!!

Looking to buy a Thompson Contender pistol. G2, Encore or The Hunter. If you know anything about these info is greatly needed!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Thompson Contender!!!

They are an excellent firearm. The new G2 now has a good rubber grip which it did not have until this year. They had them for the Encore and the old Contender but not the G2. Although they shoot very well and are pretty versitile, they do not use the high pressure barrels that the Encore can use. You can go to www.foxridgeoutfitters.com. to get a mind blowing list of available calibers and options like rifle stocks and such. Click on their custome shop. The barrels are reasonable and there is almost no limit to the options.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

I have an original Encore muzzleloader which I love. It all depends on what you want to hunt with it. All 3 are great guns. The Contender is somewhat limited as to rifle barrels for it. I'm not sure how many calibers they offer in the G2. The Encore offers the widest range in calibers for both pistol and rifle barrels. I bought mine from a friend for a good price as a muzzleloader. I am very happy with it. Then I got a 30-06 pistol barrel for it. Then I got a good deal on a 308 Encore pistol. I recently traded for a 28" ProHunter barrel in 243 which I haven't had a chance to try yet. Once you get one, you want to get more barrels for them!! They are a lot of fun, and great shooters. I only hunt deer in NY so I could just get away with one barrel for it, the muzzleloader barrel. But that wouldn't be any fun would it?? I have killed 2 deer with the muzzleloader barrel and one with the 308 pistol. I hope to ad to that next week when the Southern tier regular season opens next weekend. I don't even bring my 11-87 anymore. I'd rather have the range and accuracy of my muzzleloader than 5 slugs out of a shotgun.
Whatever one you choose I'm sure you will be happy with it. T/C makes great guns that are extremely accurate. They carry a lifetime warranty as well so there's nothing to worry about.

Mike
Old 11-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

Ibought the thompson hunter package b4 the encore hit the market it is chambered in 30/30 and is ported came with a thompson scope which I changed to a leopold and carrying case. Best gun I ever purchased with my own custom loads I'm shooting 1" groups at 100 yards. I live in new york so shotguns are mainly all you can use where I live. My friends laughed when I started hunting with it about 10 yrs ago. They don't laugh any more Im good out to about 150 in the open pastureland. In the hardwoods obviously I'm shooting max 100 My hunting buddies know now the distinct sound of the gun and when it goes off theres meat on the pole I recommend my contender big time great choice basically with the 15 " barrel its just a short rifle thats deadly accurate and versatile if you buy different barrels to suit your kind of hunting
Old 11-16-2006, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a TC Encore in 7mm08 that shoots better than I can. They are great guns.

The Encore is a beefed up version of the Contender. Allows you to shoot some of the more hoss rifle calibers. It seems to be the way most barrel makers are starting to go. Nothing wrong with the contender of course, and honestly, if you are just wanting a pistol caliber, it is the way I would go. Also allows you to shoot rimfire rounds by flipping the hammer pin.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

If you are buying I would reccomend the Encore as it has way more possibilities to make itinto you what you want. It has a unlimited supply of factory barrels that fit it and you can have them custom made for just about any caliber you want.
I have 2 Encore Frames and 4 barrells and 2 Contender frames and 4 barrels for that also. And I like them both, but the Encore is way better.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

SSK can do wonders with these. Their scope mount is the best for hard kickers. Also, the 375JDJ is a good caliber for big game or longer range medium game.

Be prepared to spend good money to get a scope which will hold up. The older Simmons scopes will hold up. They sold for like $250 - $300 at the time. If I were to scope one now, I would be thinking Leupold. Call JD Jones. HE is sure to know what will hold up. Use loctite on the mount with hard kickers.

IMHO, the Encore looks nice due to it's strength, but I don't want to shoot anything bigger than a 375 JDJ. It will clear your sinuses out, even with a brake. A 44 mag feels like a 22 after shooting the 375 JDJ. Shooting it at the bench kind of feels like taking a helmet to helmet hit in football. I let a friend shoot it who had only shot smaller 45ACP and smaller pistols before. He almost lost grip on it in recoil. What blows me away is they make bigger calibers!

BTW. . .Mine is a full house SSK with 375JDJ 15" barrel, arrestor break, SSK Khrome. . .Itwas built as my dream gun and still ties my stomach in knots thinking about it. I moved a lot of fish around inAlaska to afford it.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

I have the encore pistol with the 15" .308 and 15" .50 cal ML barrels. I am absolutely in love with this pistol. As stated before, it shoots better than I can. After shooting my pistol, 3 of my buddies have went out and purchased one. All of them have the .308 barrels, one has the ML barrel and one bought the .45 colt/.410 barrel.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

SSK can do wonders with these. Their scope mount is the best for hard kickers. Also, the 375JDJ is a good caliber for big game or longer range medium game.

Be prepared to spend good money to get a scope which will hold up. The older Simmons scopes will hold up. They sold for like $250 - $300 at the time. If I were to scope one now, I would be thinking Leupold. Call JD Jones. HE is sure to know what will hold up. Use loctite on the mount with hard kickers.

IMHO, the Encore looks nice due to it's strength, but I don't want to shoot anything bigger than a 375 JDJ. It will clear your sinuses out, even with a brake. A 44 mag feels like a 22 after shooting the 375 JDJ. Shooting it at the bench kind of feels like taking a helmet to helmet hit in football. I let a friend shoot it who had only shot smaller 45ACP and smaller pistols before. He almost lost grip on it in recoil. What blows me away is they make bigger calibers!

BTW. . .Mine is a full house SSK with 375JDJ 15" barrel, arrestor break, SSK Khrome. . .Itwas built as my dream gun and still ties my stomach in knots thinking about it. I moved a lot of fish around inAlaska to afford it.
like you i love my 375 JDJ .but i have i differ with you as to which is the best scope mount for it . i have tryed several and have found that the one that TC offers is the best one to get.IMHO of coarse.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

nothing comes close to the comfort when shouldering a Thompson Center Encore/Pro Hunter. just holding one for the first time (never shot one) had me at the gun shop buying one.