HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thompson Contender!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2006, 07:21 PM
cataway
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thompson Contender!!!

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

SSK can do wonders with these. Their scope mount is the best for hard kickers. Also, the 375JDJ is a good caliber for big game or longer range medium game.

Be prepared to spend good money to get a scope which will hold up. The older Simmons scopes will hold up. They sold for like $250 - $300 at the time. If I were to scope one now, I would be thinking Leupold. Call JD Jones. HE is sure to know what will hold up. Use loctite on the mount with hard kickers.

IMHO, the Encore looks nice due to it's strength, but I don't want to shoot anything bigger than a 375 JDJ. It will clear your sinuses out, even with a brake. A 44 mag feels like a 22 after shooting the 375 JDJ. Shooting it at the bench kind of feels like taking a helmet to helmet hit in football. I let a friend shoot it who had only shot smaller 45ACP and smaller pistols before. He almost lost grip on it in recoil. What blows me away is they make bigger calibers!

BTW. . .Mine is a full house SSK with 375JDJ 15" barrel, arrestor break, SSK Khrome. . .Itwas built as my dream gun and still ties my stomach in knots thinking about it. I moved a lot of fish around inAlaska to afford it.
like you i love my 375 JDJ .but i have i differ with you as to which is the best scope mount for it . i have tryed several and have found that the one that TC offers is the best one to get.IMHO of coarse.