Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Bought the package - Thanks Wyvern!! >

Bought the package - Thanks Wyvern!!

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Bought the package - Thanks Wyvern!!

Old 05-01-2009, 09:27 AM

Default Bought the package - Thanks Wyvern!!

There was some good fortune in the Wyvern website being down the other day. Gave me an opportunity to speak personally with Dave.

I have worked in areas where "customer service" was the key. Dave could teach a seminar course in how to provide exceptional customer service!!!

We started out with the basic questions about background, capabilities, limitations and expectations. Then we got into the good stuff. If Dave were a doctor he would be an expert diagnostician!! He asked all the right questions and understood my answers. In the end, we came up with the bow I wanted (and verified WHY it was best for me... and thanks to all of you who also helped me with my research!!!). That being established, we customized the rest of the package and stayed within a few $ of my budget.

That was one of the most in-depth conversations I've had in a long time. I bet we spoke for almost an hour, and not a minute of it was wasted!!!

I feel like I'm re-entering a community of sportsmen who are dedicated to a sport with a long and dignified tradition. Thanks to Dave and all of you for your input and understanding of my needs and wants.

Won't be long and I'll be talking shop knowledgably with you.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 05-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bought the package - Thanks Wyvern!!

Congrats and welcome to the horizontal fold. But, I have the first question: Aren't you gonna tell us what you got?
Old 05-02-2009, 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Cossack

Congrats and welcome to the horizontal fold. But, I have the first question: Aren't you gonna tell us what you got?
That's what I was thinkin' !!!!
Old 05-02-2009, 03:25 AM

DUH!!![8D][8D][8D][8D]
That's like saying "Hey guys!!! I'm dating this gorgeous super model" and not providing a picture!! Sorry, here's the invoice:

I purchased an Excaliber Vortex and a customized package of arrows, heads, quiver and etc's. Talked it all through w/Dave and feel totally comfortable with my choices (again, thanks for everyone's input).

Didn't go w/an optical sight yet, wanted to get the feel for the system before I decide.

Digging through my 1950's camping gear for an old sleeping bag to use as a target/backstop. Also cruising the curbs for tossed out couch pillows. If I save money here, I can buy more arrows!!!

Glad Michigan has decided to let its distinguished elders use cross bows for hunting. Thought my archery days were over.

No hunter should go to his/her rest without experiencing the glory of a mid-October sunrise into a pure blue sky with autumn leaves ablaze on a crisp day in the U.P. and hear the stacatto rhythm of a buck sneaking through the oak leaves... the bow slowly rising in anticipation!! HEY!!! I'm there again!!!

Mike
Old 05-02-2009, 04:13 AM
Spike

I was down in Hastings, at Bob's Gun and Tackle, yesterday. They are having a Crossbow Demo yesterday and today. They had a bag target they were using with field points, it cost $27. Thats not a bad price.

Dave
Old 05-02-2009, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ah yes, the Vortex. Good choice. The very favorite of my three 'girls.'
Some tips. Get a rope cocker if you haven't already done so.Couch cushions are NOT going to stop those arrows. Try a feed sack stuffed full and really tight with old clothes and plastic shopping bags until you can afford a decent target. A scope will make all the difference in the world for accuracy. The Hawke MAP crossbow wscope is only $70, great buy. Keep your fingers below the rail!!! Get into the habit of setting the safety the VERY FIRST THING after cocking the bow. Dryfires, do nothing for good for the bow...... or your flinch reflex. Use the same weight and kind of arrows for parctice and hunting. Arrows with different FOC, even though the same weight, will likely shoot to a different point of impact. Keep asking questions. Enjoy.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

"Try a feed sack stuffed full and really tight with old clothes and plastic shopping bags until you can afford a decent target."

I have to laugh...that is almost word for word what I told him
Yes, he has a rope cocker
Wyvern
Old 05-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great minds.......... and all that sort of stuff, Dave.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:17 AM

Reading all your posts and appreciating the advice.

I've been shooting "something" for over 50yrs. Started out w/BB guns and progressed from there. I'm hoping my firearms training and good practices of sight picture, trigger squeeze and follow through will be a good basis from which to grow and learn with the bow. I now think I'll have even better success because I can concentrate on an extended sight picture, I always seemed to "rush" w/sticks and compounds.

Cossak said to "ask questions"... ME... ASK QUESTONS????? Clear the decks boys!!! The questions are just starting!!!

Wondering if there is a parrallel here... I shoot a single barrel trap gun quite well (Ljutic Dynokik) and wanted to duplicate its balance w/my O/U doubles gun with a sliding, under-barrel weight. Adjusting the pivot point (center of balance) on both guns relative to length of pull caused both to "swing" alike - seemed to work.

OK... here's the question. Can you "adjust" FOC by doing the same??? Measure from nock (this creates a standard point of reference) to point of balance on field point set-ups that shoot accurately, and adjust broadheads w/weights to "balance" to the same length??? True, broadheads will have different aerodynamics, but this should get you close... yes???

Will also check out the Hawke sight. Dave W. suggested same. I do want to get familiar w/the mechanics of the system first. Changing too many things at once can complicate the learning process.

RE/targets: found an old sleeping bag and have plastic fiber grain sacks (100lbs of corn for deer feed) and will add to it. Wife just threw out lots of rags (translation: ALL MY COMFORTABLE CLOTHES!!!). A friend has a "cube" I can use as well.

RE/hunting: The U.P. is about to enter its "tourist season", but checked the hunting regs and apparently they are a protected species... poop! Oh well... our summer up here is short and October will come too soon for some... not me.

OK, enough babbling!!!

Mike
Old 05-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

if you take off a 100gr field point and screw on a 100gr broadhead, unless the broadhead is substantialy longer than the field point the FOC should not change. Aerodynamics is another issue. If you have a large blade that creates alot of drag and planing you could add more weight to the front of the arrow (heavier broadhead, heavier inserts, etc) and what that will do is make the fletching have more "leverage" to steer the arrow. That is more tuning the arrow to your broadhead, but you will not get the same impact point if your broadheads fly that bad that they need to be "forced" back on target. Once you eliminate that drag with a field point the arrow will go somewhere else... Now adding weight to the bow to make it more "balanced" for you to shoulder is another thing entirely
Wyvern

Quick Reply: Bought the package - Thanks Wyvern!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.