HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bought the package - Thanks Wyvern!!
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 04:17 AM
greygrouse

Default RE: Bought the package - Thanks Wyvern!!

Reading all your posts and appreciating the advice.

I've been shooting "something" for over 50yrs. Started out w/BB guns and progressed from there. I'm hoping my firearms training and good practices of sight picture, trigger squeeze and follow through will be a good basis from which to grow and learn with the bow. I now think I'll have even better success because I can concentrate on an extended sight picture, I always seemed to "rush" w/sticks and compounds.

Cossak said to "ask questions"... ME... ASK QUESTONS????? Clear the decks boys!!! The questions are just starting!!!

Wondering if there is a parrallel here... I shoot a single barrel trap gun quite well (Ljutic Dynokik) and wanted to duplicate its balance w/my O/U doubles gun with a sliding, under-barrel weight. Adjusting the pivot point (center of balance) on both guns relative to length of pull caused both to "swing" alike - seemed to work.

OK... here's the question. Can you "adjust" FOC by doing the same??? Measure from nock (this creates a standard point of reference) to point of balance on field point set-ups that shoot accurately, and adjust broadheads w/weights to "balance" to the same length??? True, broadheads will have different aerodynamics, but this should get you close... yes???

Will also check out the Hawke sight. Dave W. suggested same. I do want to get familiar w/the mechanics of the system first. Changing too many things at once can complicate the learning process.

RE/targets: found an old sleeping bag and have plastic fiber grain sacks (100lbs of corn for deer feed) and will add to it. Wife just threw out lots of rags (translation: ALL MY COMFORTABLE CLOTHES!!!). A friend has a "cube" I can use as well.

RE/hunting: The U.P. is about to enter its "tourist season", but checked the hunting regs and apparently they are a protected species... poop! Oh well... our summer up here is short and October will come too soon for some... not me.

OK, enough babbling!!!

Mike