Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Bought the package - Thanks Wyvern!! >

Bought the package - Thanks Wyvern!!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Bought the package - Thanks Wyvern!!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bought the package - Thanks Wyvern!!

Eyeballing for FOC is pretty inprecise. Try this: http://www.goldtip.com/calculators/foc.asp
I've gotten my best flight results with low profile (relatively short) 4 bladed arrowheads like Slick Tricks Magnums, on arrows that are at least 18% FOC and small vanes like the 2" Blazers. I build my own, starting with Gold Tip Lazer II shafts and 110 gr brass insert. These fly like darts for me. In fact I no longer bother to practice with braodheads because they fly so much like field tips. Just check for zero and off I go.
Expandible heads tend to fly like field tips too, if you can keep them from opening prematurely. Shooting them through mesh can also be problematic.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Cossack

Great minds.......... and all that sort of stuff, Dave.
Unfortunately, bad minds think alike too. Not saying - just saying...

jk
Old 05-15-2009, 05:08 PM

You will love your Vortex, I have had nothingbut the best of luckwith mine.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: greygrouse

DUH!!![8D][8D][8D][8D]
That's like saying "Hey guys!!! I'm dating this gorgeous super model" and not providing a picture!! Sorry, here's the invoice:

I purchased an Excaliber Vortex and a customized package of arrows, heads, quiver and etc's. Talked it all through w/Dave and feel totally comfortable with my choices (again, thanks for everyone's input).

Didn't go w/an optical sight yet, wanted to get the feel for the system before I decide.

Digging through my 1950's camping gear for an old sleeping bag to use as a target/backstop. Also cruising the curbs for tossed out couch pillows. If I save money here, I can buy more arrows!!!

Glad Michigan has decided to let its distinguished elders use cross bows for hunting. Thought my archery days were over.

No hunter should go to his/her rest without experiencing the glory of a mid-October sunrise into a pure blue sky with autumn leaves ablaze on a crisp day in the U.P. and hear the stacatto rhythm of a buck sneaking through the oak leaves... the bow slowly rising in anticipation!! HEY!!! I'm there again!!!

Mike
Good luck with that Excal! Glad you'll be able to continue bowhunting.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:12 AM

KMTPR,

Thanks for your kind words.

I just realized that it looked as if I was shouting in that post - sorry, just used the wrong font!!

When hunting, one must shoot hundreds of rounds/shots/arrowsin preparation before that one clear, ethical opportunity for a sure kill comes along.

I hope to take one sure (because I've done all my homework/practise) shot at a deer this fall w/the cross bow. But I will be confident of that shot because I've put in the previous work. Its the practical application of technique and accuracy.

Good luck to all in all our pursuits.

Mike