Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Stryker crossbows?? >

Stryker crossbows??

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Stryker crossbows??

Old 05-28-2008, 09:50 PM

Default Stryker crossbows??

Hey guys, Id like some info on the Stryker crossbows from Bowtech. I have a chance to buy one for a VERY good price,, almost too good to pass up. I know nothing about crossbows but am interested in this,,, more for my wife than me since she isnt able to shoot a bow anymore. Is there any difference in a regular Stryker and the Desert Stryker,, other than the camo pattern. I can buy a stryker package with everything case, quiver,arrows,scope,cocker, entire package,, very very good price. Or I can buy the Desert Stryker, digital camo, scope only for even better price... Are both crossbows the same as far as speed quality warranty? What kind of warranty and support do they have? Are they an accurate crossbow? Thanks for any info you can share with me on this,, I need to hurry and make a decision.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stryker crossbows??

You'd best contact Moonkryket or Bigbird. They'll both have first hand info to share as purchasers/owners.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Fork Horn

Own the DS model. Have shot the other or first Stryker model. First one is too heavy for long distance hunting. The DS model is more narrow and quieter for hunting. First one is 405 fps and the DS is 350 fps. The DS is super accurate and a joy to hunt with. Drawbacks are Bowtech has a strict warranty policy where it's only for the original purchaser and, if he bought it from an authorized dealer and, paid MSR price for it. Not sure on your deal but you may be without any warranty. Just a heads up on their ways.

The DS model had a trigger recall or update. Free for registered owners. Still to me it would be a serious liability risk not to fix any trigger issues. But I'm not BT and they do have different ideas than others. The first Stryker a few had issues with the chain cocking device built into it. It's fine if you follow instructions. You can uncock the first one but the DS must be shot to unload properly. Others have methods but I'm afraid of hole in foot disease.

That's the bad. The good is it shoots great. Quiet and fast. I've owned several different xbows and the DS is my main hunting machine. MK should have more to say as he's shot his a lot.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Fork Horn

Angus -

The first thing you should do is to make good use of the internet!
Go to the Stryker website!
You can see everything there is to see right from the horses mouth.

I have the Stryker in the carbon fiber finish. Unless your wife is a really tuff ol bird..I'd go for the Desert Stryker for her. The Stryker may get a bit heavy walkin around during the hunt. The D.S. is notably lighter. You will/should buy the/a cocking rope to go with the D.S. This not only helps cock it...it also helps cock the string "on center".

They both are very accurate...at least I know the Stryker version is. It's accurate for a long way out. Mk. can give better info on the distance shooting.

As far as warrenty...I can say from experience...they did very well with the problem I initially had with mine. No arguments, no hassles, just took care of the problem.
As for the problem itself...it was more of a shiping problem in my estimation than a manufacturing problem...and Bow Tech made it good...with no muss, no fuss.

Wouldn't hesitate, but as I say, the D.S. is much lighter, just as accurate, just as able to kill.

Mike
Old 05-29-2008, 05:20 PM

I agree with 99% of what Bird posted. I had a limb problem with my Desert Stryker early on and I also had a limb problem with a Phantom the first week I owned it. Service back to my door was virtually indentical for both bows.Obviously my expectations were not as high as Bird's. Just keep in mind what he's still hunting with :-) :-) He knows a good thing when he shoots it. I agree 100% on the rest of his post so I will not post redundant findings. My personal opinion is that the Desert Stryker, as to performance, is second to none.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:26 PM

OOOPS!

Threw a photo of the Phantom on previous post. Brain dead again today.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

I've had my stryker for just over a year. The only complaint I have is the weight. It's a heavy bow to carry. I'll also warn you that the hard case that comes with it doesn't allow me to put it in with the scope on. I also had to buy an arrow puller. When shot into my crossbow target, it's like it was glue in. This year I'm thinking of trying it out hunting tanks.

I'm also thinking of getting a bow that can be broken down and carried in a double rifle case. I almost need a truck just to transport my Stryker into the field.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:16 AM

The Desert Stryker is 2 lbs lighter in weight. Makes a big difference. I don't hunt with the Stryker because of the weight. The TP Phantom is another really heavy crossbow thatI like but I will not hunt with a crossbow that heavy. Maybe we could design a 2 wheel dolly that attaches to the foot stirrups of these 11 lb crossbows
Old 06-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Gimphunter -

My my thoughts...the hard case is real...well...lets just say I'm not using it again! Came real close to throwing out...but then I though another bow might fit better...so I kept it.
If I need a case for my Stryker, I'll buy one the the bow actually"fits" into!
Though taking the scope off isn't too big a concern to me.

Mike
Old 06-04-2008, 03:19 PM

The Plano case works WITH the scope on and opens side to side instead of end to end which I like much better.