Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 How long is it safe to leave a recurve cocked? >

How long is it safe to leave a recurve cocked?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

How long is it safe to leave a recurve cocked?

Old 11-06-2007, 08:55 PM

Default How long is it safe to leave a recurve cocked?

Is there a manufacturer's suggestion on how long it's ok to leave your recurve xbow cocked? I have a Horton Legacy and at times I love to stay out in the woods from sun-up to sun-down. Will it hurt to leave it cocked all day long?

Thanks in advance!
MadOtis
Old 11-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How long is it safe to leave a recurve cocked?

Dont know about Horton but I think you will be just fine.I leave mine cocked for up to 14-15 hours with no trouble.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:27 PM

Not sure, maybe some of the Long time Excal users can fill us in on that for a recurve.

Not to hijack your thread, but you mention the Horton Legacy. I think you would be the second person in here to have one. How is it doing for you? The first guy had trouble with his string and the string stoppers. Ended up taking it back. How long have you had yours? and how much do you shoot it?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

There was a post a while back on Excal forum; a guy found one in a closet that had been cocked for 5 years, no problems, although he probably needed a string.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:55 PM

Hotburn76,

I just got it about a week before archery started in GA (mid September). I've probably shot it about 50-60 times using Carbon Express 20" bolts w/ Steel Force broadheads. So far, no problems at all aside from needing ear plugs. Yes, I exchanged a few PMs with the guy who had problems with his and I am trying to keep an eye out for the same thing on mine. But, so far, nothing has gone wrong with it aside from my son kicking it over on a gravel road and stepping on the scope, but is still shoots accurate, so I don't mind the "battle scratches."

Cool, if it doesn't seem to hurt leaving it cocked, I'll keep doing it. I don't think I'll leave it cocked in the closet for 5 years, however.

Thanks all!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:39 PM

If it's a problem leaving it cocked all day then there's a problem. It is not uncommon to hunt dawn to dusk.

A friend of mine leaves his cocked all the time. I got on him about it, but to no avail. He does not uncock or shoot it when he finishes hunting. He leaves it cocked. Of course he takes the arrow out when not actually hunting... He's taken several deer with it over the years and this doesn't seem to effect it. It is a wheeled bow though.

bruce