Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Do you leave the hammer cocked back?? >

Do you leave the hammer cocked back??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do you leave the hammer cocked back??

Old 10-25-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you leave the hammer cocked back??

I hunt in a very thick wooded location and this weekend will be my first black powder outing. I want to be safe, but would it be unsafe to cock the hammer back and keep the safety on?

When I pull the hammer back it is pretty loud, but If I dropped the rifle from my stand could it fire back??? I'm guessing the answer is yes and I should just wait to pull the hammer back. Please don't bash me just looking for what you guys do. Thanks
Old 10-25-2007, 08:19 AM

Default RE: Do you leave the hammer cocked back??

I personally do not & suggest not to have the hammer cocked for safety sake, it only takes a second to make life turn bad when an accident like this could produce where as it only takes a second to cock the hammer back to ready the shot when that nice Buck come by.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't. I'll probably get blasted for this, but what I dois when I'm cocking the hammer I keep my finger LIGHTLY on the trigger so that it doesn't make noise. Just enough pressure to keep it from snapping.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, getting a deer is not worth my life, I will try and pull it back as quietly as possible.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

A little to risky for me. I usually cock my gun when I see or hear a deer coming. "Most" of the time, when a deer hears something, he'll freeze and look around for what made the noise. If you have the gun shouldered, it's just a matter of aiming and pulling the trigger. Safety is always #1.

Good luck and God bless,
Old 10-25-2007, 08:45 AM

I cut a small length of plastic tube, and tied a rawhide thong to it. The other end ties to the trigger guard. The plastic tube slips over the cap. I can gently let the hammer down on the tube or leave it cocked.

I tested it on a UNLOADED empty gun with a live cap. The test was successfull for as many trigger pulls as I cared to try. The tube fits tight enough to stay in place, but still slides off the cap to fire without dis-lodging the cap from the nipple.

Of course this all sounds good in theory until the deer hears the trigger being set[8D]

early

Old 10-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess some of us have our own way of doing things according to our own logic.
I like a hammer rifle like the Omega or Encore or Triumph because I CAN EASE THE HAMMER AND THE TRIGGER BACK AT THE SAME TIME AND GENTILLY LET THE TRIGGER BACK BEFOREI EASE UP ON THE HAMMER SO IT IS COCKED WITH OUT A SOUND. THIS COULD BE DANGEROUS IF YOUR HAND SLIPS OR YOU GET THINGS IN THE WRONG ORDER, KEEP THE GUN POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION. Do not try this with any other type action. I would strongly suggest if you wish to try this you do it with an empty gun first. Lee
Old 10-25-2007, 08:55 AM

There's no excuse good 'nuff for carrying cocked....

From the way you word your post I'll assume you are using a sidelock, whichsidelock has a "safety" though?

Heck, much of my CF hunting is done with a full mag box but an empty chamber.

A cold chamber is hard to get to go off accidentally................

Old 10-25-2007, 08:56 AM

Okay....he's using one of those Omega type things, hammer plus safety.

Brain dead this morning, my apologies...............
Old 10-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I CAN EASE THE HAMMER AND THE TRIGGER BACK AT THE SAME TIME AND GENTILLY LET THE TRIGGER BACK BEFOREI EASE UP ON THE HAMMER SO IT IS COCKED WITH OUT A SOUND.
This is what I was attempting to say in my response but lemoyne put itinto words a lot better that I did. If you do decide to use this method make sure you try it many-many times w/an unloaded gun before to try it w/a loaded one.

Quick Reply: Do you leave the hammer cocked back??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.