Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How long can I leave the load in my gun >

How long can I leave the load in my gun

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How long can I leave the load in my gun

Old 11-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default How long can I leave the load in my gun

Today was the first day of our Black Powder season, and it runs for 3 weeks. Is it ok to leave the load in my gun for the whole 3 weeks, as long as I leave the gun in my truck, and not take it in and out of the heat. Or should I pull the load after the weekend? I wont be doing any hunting durring the week.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:40 PM
FG

Default RE: How long can I leave the load in my gun

Its ok as long as you do your best to keep the weather out of the rifle.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

this ismy post from a week ago or so; Not the report you all were expecting! The rifle has been loaded for 10 days. Temps from 40d to 12d w/wind up to howling. Put it in the hard case every eve. Its been covered w/snow, damp, wet, in the case wet. pulled the cap every eve. Noon today hit the stump where i was aiming!! brought it home and scrubbed it up!! Fill'er up in the a.m. Back at it!!
Old 11-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds good, thanks guys.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

I use a Dollar store balloon over the muzzle and NEVER bring the rifle into a heated space. Stays cold all season. I have left it loaded for days and never had a problem

Charlie
Old 11-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well this isn't recommended but while I was up the camp this past week for bear, another guy had brought his percussion T/C Hawken. He claimed it was loaded for 2 years. He took it out before he came up to the camp, put a cap on the nipple and it fired without any hesitation. He cleaned it up and reloaded it.
I don't know if I could ever leave any ML loaded for that long.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Spike

I only have the guts too leave it loaded for two days. I want to know that it's going off when my only shot presents itself.I know people who leave it for a year with no problem though.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I left two of my caplocks loaded for 6 months one time, when I did shoot them both hit the same and fired like they were loaded that morning.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I'm anal but I unloaded mine everynightand reloaded every morning with fresh pellets and sabots. I don't have to waste them, I can always set them a side to use at the range. Now, during the day when I took a lunch break I just took out the primer and left it out on my buddies back porch in the cold.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

my ML is always loaded and i have never had a problem with it, but i do try to fire it at least once a week, and it never leaves it case untill its about to be fired, cleanedor im in my stand. im very protective of my baby, its the only "real" gun i own

Quick Reply: How long can I leave the load in my gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.