Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long to leave out trail camera? >

How long to leave out trail camera?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long to leave out trail camera?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:48 AM

Default How long to leave out trail camera?

I know this will vary because some of you hunt on land that isnt close and dont get there as often buyt what is the best time to leave it out there. If the camera I have is taking pictures I dont think the battery will last longer then 4 days.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 AM

Default RE: How long to leave out trail camera?

I have a moultrie d-40. It took 174 pictures in a three day period the last time I had it out. All pictures were at night. The battery life dropped 10%. I leave mine out for a week usually unless I find a big deer. Then I'll move it up the trail to try to pattern him a little better. I might even leave it out until about 2-3 days before season just to see when he is moving in relation to the weather and such.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

i think a better question is how often to check them. They arent going to hurt much by leaving them out but if you are checking them every other day you are going to do more harm than good because of the human scent.

I check them either once a week or every two weeks usually. The closer it gets to season the more careful I am about my scent

rick

Old 08-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I check my cameras around the house about once a week.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

the longer you can leave it out the better....but usually the anxiety gets the better of me and I check it after only a few days....
Old 08-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a WildView that had taken over 600 pictures over a month period before the battery light came on. It was still working too, but the batteries were low.

I like to leave mine out a minimum of 2 weeks before checking them.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:14 AM

I leave mine out from Labor Day til the end of season.
I swap the SD card every Sunday when I am there hunting.
My Moultrie I40 only went thru 2 sets of batteries last year
The first set lasted from Labor Day until the end of Dec!

I take my laptop along every Sunday and check the cards/pics while we are having lunch
Old 08-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: thehairlessone!

i think a better question is how often to check them. They arent going to hurt much by leaving them out but if you are checking them every other day you are going to do more harm than good because of the human scent.

I check them either once a week or every two weeks usually. The closer it gets to season the more careful I am about my scent

rick
I agree...question may be a little misleading. I leave my cameras in the woods to "scout for me" from July sometime until January. For the most part, I check them every 7-10 days. One thing I could do better is maybe move the cameras a little more often to different locations. I left one Cuddeback on the Trophy Rock the entire season because that's how long the Rock lasted and I continually got deer, bucks and does alike.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:19 PM

I check mine once per month
Old 08-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

I check my cams every 1-2 weeks........ My Cuddebacks don't suck up battery life. I can get 500 pictures easy in nominal weather before I need to think about changing out batteries.

rob

Quick Reply: How long to leave out trail camera?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.