Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

an update...

Old 06-30-2007, 06:36 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default an update...

well I got to shoot my crossbow for the first time today, I sent my stock in monday afternoon and was surprised that the replacement got here yesterday, a 5 day turn around is pretty quick and more than a little impressive...

I was going to wait a while on arrows because I wanted to put my own together from alumin shafts andI didnt order any online because we had to go out of town today and I figured I'd pick up some shafts then, however Icouldnt find one place that had any 2216 bare shafts anywhere... Walmart, Gander Mountain,Scheels, nobody had any...I'm not a big fan of carbons but Idid find some Easton Beman Thunder bolts for $29/6 atScheelsso I picked some up, I had the guy at the counter weigh one and it came up at 303gr, I had him weigh a 20in 2219 alumin arrow also just for comparison and it came up at 349gr, which is 46gr difference
I havent weighed anything myself but with 100gr points thats around 403g and from looking at various charts that should put them right in between a 2216 and 2213 as far as weight goes, which should work fine
I did notice that the f.o.c. balance wasnt quite as far forward as I'd like it to bewith 100gr tips so I'm maybe going to have to do some adjusting and see what works, this is the first set of arrows I've used in about 15 years that I havent put together myself, one of the few sets of carbons I've set up and the very first set of crossbow arrows I've set up so I have a little bit of "looking into" to find up what it takes to make these carbons(or crossbow arrows in general)work the best, I hope these Thunder bolts are decent arrows to begin with as far as spline stiffness, quality and durability, I knownext to nothing about them...
I'm still not 100% sure I'm not going to put some alumin ones together for hunting season, I'll have to see how these carbons work out, but I know whats what with alumin shafts...

I also wanted to use feathers and these came with vanes, which I think may not be so bad anyway, I dont on my compound but I use a hip quiver with my recurve(or did anyway)andI'm going to use itwith my crossbow and I rememberwhile using ithunting with my recurve that feathers made quite a bit of noise while making your way through the brush in that hip quiver, alot more than plastic vanes anyway...
its another thing I'll have to test out and see what works the best, I know I dont want one mounted on the bow,with a sling itseems like the "onboard" quiver would be right in the way and I dont want the extra weight, mass or trouble of having a quiver on the bow anyway...

I only shot it a few times but Ireally like that Phoenix, it took a little more effort to cock than a compound(obviously) but in any other regaurd it was a world better than any of the other ones I've shot(which isnt many)
I think I'm going to stick with a single dot scope(seeings as I already have one for it), I've shot the horton multiple dot scopes and kind of prefer the single dot over those anyway, less guessing in the heat of the moment IMO...
my scope mount and case should be here monday and besides doing some experimenting that should be all I need...

I cant wait for my scope mount to get here so I cant get it completely put together
Old 06-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: an update...

You might try Keystone Country Store thats were I got my shafts from.