Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Excal arrows?

Old 06-16-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Excal arrows?

Sorry, I can't resist. I do not even have my CB yet and am asking already. I know Dan likes the Gold Tip L11's, but can't remember what Don or Mike use, or the other guys for that matter. I plan on buying some from Danny next Thursday when I get paid. Seems like memory makes me think Don and Mike like aluminum, but can't remember? I have always liked the carbon for the simple fact that I think the way I pulled out aluminum out I was bending them, they would never last long before failing the table roll test.

Also, I have a fair amount of Horton carbon arrows with moon nocks on them. Can I sand them flat and use them.

Double also... Seems like I remember you guys doing the blazer vanes. What do you guys think of them too?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Excal arrows?

I like carbon too,but the package comes with Alum,Iam going to buy a 6 pack of the Excal carbons and use the alum arrows for a for Hmmmm carp ? or maybe tree rats ......
So the Excal use's flat nocks just like the TenPoint ?....So they should be interchangeable right ?...will I need to weight my 10 point arrows to compare them to the Excal's ?.......
Is the Vortex a auto safty or does it need to be put on after you draw the string back.......

Old 06-17-2007, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I may be wrong, but I don't think danny Miller even stocks the standard Excal carbons [357 gr] Once I tried his 431's I converted all my stock 357's to brass inserts. The 10 pt arrows are almost identical to Millers, except for the plastic nocks and a weight of about 420 gr.

I've done some experimenting w/ blazer vanes, need to do some more, but seem to recall they grouped well w/ b-heads but not the same as field points.

All Excals have manual safeties

Out of thousands and thousands of shots w/ about3 dozen carbons I've had two break, one stuck in foam 3-D and one hit a tree.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ta da u herd it here folks[8D]! Unless you have a severe need fer speed and like carbons the awshuck specials from Miller is the way to go. Now hear this if'en y'all like alum. 2216's are good all around. I shoot alum.'s totally, 3-D shoots 2213's 355 gr. deer and general hunting i use 2216's. Fer big and tough game Elk, Hogs Moose i use 2219's! There u have in a nut shell straight from the peanut gallery!
Old 06-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dan....
Thanks Mike....
Old 06-17-2007, 05:44 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

I have no experince with them in a crossbow but I've never been a big fan of carbon arrows in my compounds, my son shoots them in his and alot of times he pulls his arrows out of the target bent around in ways that would make an ugly stick cringe and they take it very well so I guess their durability is a strong point,but as for me I just cant bring myself to switch from alumin. shafts, just my personal preference...

I may get a half dozen or so carbons just to try out in my crossbow, those standard carbon excal arrows seem like they'd be a little on the light side for my liking(excals website says 360gr for series 22) but Ihave yet to talk to Danny Miller so we'll see how that goes, but as of right now I think I'm going to stick with some feathered 2216's, it seems like they're about "middle of the road" as far as shooting out of a crossbow...
Old 06-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

For serious stuff like deer I like aluminum. For turkey and farting around I use carbons. Guys try both. The best thing about aluminum is that they are straighter than carbons. Of course we are talking about a really small difference that make no difference when hunting. I have never bent one by pulling it out of a target and a small ding in the wall doesn't bend them. Carbons are fast to be sure and look better too.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

To light is not good for hunting ,when I have a bear or boar or a good sized deer for that matter I want an exit hole on the far side even if the animal is standing on a little more of an angle than I can tell or moves as I shoot. I took my 109th deer last year with a arrow [that’s not counting gun shot deer] and have been hunting with one kind of a bow or another for 60 years and tried about every thing, and the only time I have ever had a problem with how much penetration I got was with mec. Heads and with carbon arrows. The difference in trajectory for an arrow that is going close to 300fps between a 350gr arrow and a 430 gr arrow is very little but the difference in penetration capability is apparent. Lee