Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Sharpening a knife >

Sharpening a knife

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Sharpening a knife

Old 01-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sharpening a knife

I was reading through the product test thread and saw some sweet knives displayed there. So it got me to thinking. I have a couple of knives that I would like to put a nice edge on. Their nothing special but I would like to learn the proper technique for sharpening a knife. That way if I ever do break down and buy a good one I could take care of it the right way. So here are my two questions.

What is the right way to sharpen a knife and what products do you use?
Old 01-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Sharpening a knife

I do it so much I don't even think about it any more. I use a 200 grit sanding beld on my 3x36 bench sander. Hold about 25 degrees then I use a diamond chip hone. and off to the strop. But I do this when I make a knife, here is one I made today. It will shave you.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ideally, no matter what sharpener, the more consistant you are in following the mfgrs angle on the edge, the better life is, lol. I'm a knife sharpener junky, bought every new and better, blah, blah, blah. The one I'm most fond of is called a Jewel Stik, sold by Cabela's and is the three sided version. It has diamonds embedded in the surfaces, and it doesn't matter what angle you hold the blade at, as long as you hold the same consistently. the coarse one will quickly put your own personal angle on the edge, the medium smoothes it out, and the fine turns it shaving like a razor sharp, as long as you hold the same angle for every stroke. Not as hard as it may sound, as when you have the correct angle, it will feel like you're slicing a sliver off of the sharpener.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

You have got to be kidding me. You made that knife? That's a nice looking knife. Do you sell those or do it as a hobbie?
Old 01-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

How to Sharpen a Knife
Old 01-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I own a Gatco and Lansky sharpeners but the next two are my current sharpening tools. The pic is a G5 which is just amazing. The link shows a sharpener that makes an edge better than a razor.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32999&cat=1,43072
In truth no one needs better than the G5 sharpener.

Rev, you do real nice work. How many knives have you made to date? My knife maker is Jamie McGowan. He's not nearly as artistic as you. He's only been doing it for 5 years or so. But does nice work none the less.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Green Pea

You have got to be kidding me. You made that knife? That's a nice looking knife. Do you sell those or do it as a hobbie?
I sell them, that one will sell for 150.00 It's1095 Spring Steel heat treated to rockwell hardness of about 58. Has a corian handle with custom handmade sheath.
This is my home page with more knives. http://www.livehunt.com/profile.php?sub_section=gallery&id=1853
Old 01-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't use a Bench Grinder on a knife. It will give you a hollow grind and I don't like. If you hone and strapyour knives on a regular bases, they will not get so dull that they need sharpening! If you have to sharpen your knife, use an Arkansas Stone, a little 3-in-1 oil on the stone and draw the edge towards you keeping it at 25* angle or use a Belt sander with a Green sanding belt or use a Sharpening Steel like the Butchers useand then Hone and Strap to remove the wire edge.

This is what I carry with me for hunting, and use for my knives on cutting up game,

Diamond Knife Stick

Old 01-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Green Pea

I was reading through the product test thread and saw some sweet knives displayed there. So it got me to thinking. I have a couple of knives that I would like to put a nice edge on. Their nothing special but I would like to learn the proper technique for sharpening a knife. That way if I ever do break down and buy a good one I could take care of it the right way. So here are my two questions.

What is the right way to sharpen a knife and what products do you use?
sproul has been there done that..

tried it all..

find where you can buy a file that is used to ONLY SHARPEN BROADHEAD blades..

on my recurve i use ZEWICKY HEADS..

this file will put real sharp edge on those blades and is great with knife..put like 3 swips on 1 side and 3 on other..your done.

i tried it all and spent all that money on knife sharpeners and best i have and use id that BROADHEAD FILE..

sproul has spoken!!
Old 01-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

And that's our entertainment for the night!!!

Quick Reply: Sharpening a knife

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.