Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Your Hunt Today!  Lets Hear it! >

Your Hunt Today! Lets Hear it!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Your Hunt Today! Lets Hear it!

Old 10-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Your Hunt Today! Lets Hear it!

btw sorry how I did the pictures. I noticed I did them a little wrong. [&:]
Old 10-09-2006, 09:57 PM

It's October 9th, thanks giving here. I took the first week of October off work for the opening of archery season here in Ontario. It was a slow week for me. I saw three deer last Thursday night but never had a clear shot lined up. Those were the only deer I saw until tonight. It was the last fading few minutes of light and I heard some movement getting closer to my tree stand. I just told myself to be patient, I have to go back to work tomorrow so lets see how this plays out. I finally caught a glimpse of movement. It was a doe and she was cautiously approaching my stand. I could hear her fawn a little farther back. This doe knew something was up. She looked up at me several times and stomped her feet. She was very nervous. So was I. This has happened to me before though. I stayed absolutey still and eventually she calmed down. Her fawn came into view as she started to move closer to my stand. She finally came broadside at about 12 yards. I raised my crossbow and had her in my crosshairs but there were branches in the way. By now the fawn was literally next to the tree I was in. I made a bad decision and swung my crossbow towards the fawn to take a shot. The doe busted me right away and both blew out of there even before the cross hairs settled on the fawn. I was extremely dissappointed with what I had done. This was my last night and I blew a good oppurtunity I had thought. To my utter amazement the doe ran off but circled back to my left. She stood broadside again this time at 20 yards. I was at the end of the last available shooting light. I decided to chance it and raise my crossbow. She was looking directly at me. I put the crosshairs just behing her shoulder and let fly. I heard a thwack! But was it the right kind? To my utter disappointment again it sounded like my arrow struck a tree.. I watched her run off. I stayed on my tree stand for what seemed like forever and then climbed down. I went directly home to grab some flash lights. I waited an hour and headed back into the woods. I walked to where I thought the doe was standing at the shot and started to look for my arrow. I found it almost right away...stuck in a tree...with blood on it! A wave of excitement passed through me again...to be once again followed up by disappointment. I pulled out the arrow and took a close look at it. I was shocked to see what to me looked like some gut material. I sniffed the arrow and to me it smelled like stomach contents. I immediately marked the spot where I found the arrow and headed back out of the bush. When in doubt back out. I'm heading back at first light tomorrow to look for her. It has been such a roller coaster of emotions for me tonight. I'm sorry for the long post but it feels good to get it off my chest. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Bad Hayes,sounds good. Confessions of a man on dumb moves is a good sign. No one's going to boot your butt cuz you're doing it yourself. Being a Canadian and all we're going to take it easy on ya! Does are ok but......
Good luck finding the doe. Backing off is the right thing to do. Try to get some help and organize your search. Again, good luck tomorrow, I hope you find it.
If you ever take a fawn please don't let us know.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:11 PM

saw a buck yesterday nothing today some a--hole shoting something up till dark
Old 10-11-2006, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

On oct 10 at 4:15 pm i was in my stand swating at mosquitos for about 10 min went i seen a flicker and looked up to see a big doe watching me. So we stared at each other for about another 10 min when she walked off. So i hit the doe bleat can and nothing. So around 6ish i hear the corn snapping and here he comes when in front i give him a grunt and stopped him at 20 yrds put the crosshair on him and in a 30 yrd dash he expired. Hes a very big bodied but littler 8 point rack. ive seen this deer for 5 yrs and now hes mine. But next is his daddy and let me tell you hes a freak. I would post a pic but it says the file is too big. but ill try else where.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:38 AM

A sucessful hunt from shewe. Just trying to keep them all in a spot so come march I and allcan have something good to look back on and read.http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1727859
Old 10-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey was in my stand this morning and the wind was blowing. Twas glad fer that as it were way to warm to be on a deers stand this morning. Saw my regular cat squirrel comes down same tree i am in. I don't think its all that happy that i picked its tree to put ladder stand in. Skeeters were getting blown all over the place and that made me happy. Heard a Gobbler gobble 3 different times after day light this morning,didnt' see nuttin!
Old 10-11-2006, 03:47 PM

Well I did not make it out today because of the rain and strong winds! Will try again tomorrow. I did however see a small break in the weather and went out on the barn roof and shot my Tekan twos and they hit right on. Its 23 feet up and its the best practice I can do to have the treestand feeling.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

We have fairly heavy rain right now[:@] but it's supposed stop in the morning. It will be a good day to be in the woods tomorrow before first light. I'll have details when I get back in the evening.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went out hunting a new property yesterday afternoon (10/12). Was raining like crazy- nasty weather. I sat on the ground on the side of a hill, near a major trail. 30 minutes after I sat down, a 6-pointer walked right by at about 20 yards. Would have been an easy shot, but here in Ohio we're only allowed 1 buck, and I'm not going to shoot my only buck this early in the season if it's a small one. He walked past me and messed around under an apple tree, eating apples for about an hour. Didn't see anything else after that until I left to walk back to the truck. Saw 3 deer in the beanfield next to where I parked.

Quick Reply: Your Hunt Today! Lets Hear it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.