Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

grouse and the fun-guy!

Old 09-22-2004, 11:42 AM
djy

Default grouse and the fun-guy!

I found this recipe, maybe it was from here, but it was sooo gooood!
I halved 2 grouse breasts and dipped them in a 1/2 cup olive oil/onion soup mix mixture. Lined a baking pan with 6-8 quartered baby red potatoes and put the breasts on top. Then drizzled the rest of the oil mixture over potatoes. Covered with foil and baked at 300 for 55 minutes.
Also found some coral mushrooms on Sunday and salt/peppered/flour fried in butter. Some garlic bread and a fine pilsner.

It was goood! I usually just bake them, but this was great. I might salt/pepper/flour fry the birds next time. But I will be doing the other way again.

Now all I need is a duck for TheRicks recipe and some venison from MD Piney's post and I'll be set!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:39 PM

Default RE: grouse and the fun-guy!

Shot my first grouse two weeks ago after chasing and missing them for my third year. The first one I cooked over my campfire, pretty good, but I was also grateful to have it since I didn't bring any food. I got my second one the next morning, took it home, slathered in duck sauce and beer and stir fried it with portabellos and garlic. Cooked it a bit on the rare side which is how I like it. Served it up with mashed potatoes and greens. Simple recipe, but darn good.

It's been a good year for wild game. It's my third year hunting, fly fishing, ice fishing and deep sea fishing. I've gotten my first stripers, trophy sized pollock and cod, first grouse, decent trout, crappie and bass now I just need to bag my first deer and this will be a great year for me. Ok, enough of that, time for the 7th game of the ALCS. Go sox!
Old 10-29-2004, 09:39 AM
djy

Default RE: grouse and the fun-guy!

LOL Sounds great!
What's duck sauce?

Never mind I found out. It's a sweet and sour sauce. Sounds good. I'll have to try.
I've seen more grouse this year. Hope to do well this weekend.
Thanks again for the recipe.