Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 Pronghorn backstrap recipe needed >

Pronghorn backstrap recipe needed

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Pronghorn backstrap recipe needed

Old 10-26-2004, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Pronghorn backstrap recipe needed

Does anyone have a recipe for cooking pronghorn backstraps that they will share? Any other pronghorn recipes?

I cooked a pronghorn leg roast this past sunday evening which was pretty good. I followed my standard venison roast braising recipe: sear on all sides, add 1 cup of water and cook covered in a 325 degree oven for 3 hours, turning the meat over every 30 minutes. I also apply a coating of herbs on the meat consisting of 6 ground or crushed juniper berries, 1/2 teaspoon of marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon of thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper. I add water if needed during the cooking. I try to let the volume of liquid reduce -- without drying completely up! -- towards the end of the cooking process. I then thicken the liquid with a mixture of melted butter and flour and serve this as a gravy with the meat.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:10 PM

Default RE: Pronghorn backstrap recipe needed

When cooking our pronghorn's we use the same recipes as deer and elk, but find the meat to be more tender and has an amazing flavor!

If you have the backstraps whole, slice them 1.5-2" thick and slit with knife to make a pocket. Stuff the pocket with good bleu cheese, sear in olive oil and worchestire. place in a baking pan with sliced tomatoes on top of the steaks. cook at 350 until your desired rare/med. Serve with angel hair pasta with a butter-pesto sauce.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

j3k2c1: That sounds good. What wine do you serve with that? Also, how about some direction on butter-pesto sauce. I make a pesto sauce as follows: olive oil, pine nuts, minced garlic, fresh basil leaves, fresh squeezed lemon juice, regianno parmesan cheese. What role would butter have in such a sauce?
Old 11-02-2004, 04:02 PM

all that you do with the butter is brush it on the angel hair. When I first thought of this I just said a pesto sauce, but my friend almost hurt herself testing it (lactose intolerant!) It just lets them know that there is butter in it. I don't know about wines, but I serve it up with homemade grapejuice, preferrably any white variety, as it helps to cut through and compliment the bleu cheese.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:56 PM

yummy, your making me hungry

God Bless and Be Careful

BJ
Old 11-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cook it as I would any venison, Antelope is very good IMO!