Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Grouse

Old 10-21-2002, 11:52 PM
Spike

Default Grouse

Where do you find most of the bird at, i mean in term of terrain and cover. thanks

Old 10-22-2002, 07:44 AM
Spike

Default RE: Grouse

Thats a pretty broad question as many areas throughout the US are very different..In New England much of the hunting is done in and around old apple orchards and stonewalls and hedgerows.

Here in Pa we hunt everything from old orchards,to wild grapevine tangles,to green briar,to hemlock stands and of course Clear Cuts.All of which may or maynot hold birds at the time you are there.:-)The seasons also play a part in locating birds as there food soruce changes with the seasons.The best tip I can give.Is when your lucky enough to bag that first bird,open the crop on it and examine what its been eating,then you can concentrate on those food sources to help put you in the area birds are feeding.Good Luck Take care Jackson..
Old 10-22-2002, 10:17 AM
Spike

Ok, more direct question then, whats the birds main for source, or is what ever is avaible.

Old 10-22-2002, 10:56 AM

Also try old Gravel logging (private not County) road in the Late evening when the birds work the edges for grit. Primary food sources change but buds on aspen birch & maple trees are a foods source in the Winter months. You'll just have to check the stomach for what the birds are eating @ the time you're hunting. Also look for roosting areas around stands of "pine" trees. Good Luck & GOOD HUNTING
Old 10-22-2002, 11:13 AM
Spike

Unlike deer where White Acorns are the "Cherry" on their sundae.Grouse will eat what ever is available.Other then checking the crop.A great late season approach is start hunting about 8am.By then the birds are out to feed after a long cold nite and most active again just a hr or so before dark packing their bellies with food for another long cold nite.Also in the late season,hunt the sunny sides of the slopes.Many times you'll find birds getting those last warming rays of sunshine while they are feeding before nite falls.Take care Jackson..
Old 10-27-2002, 11:50 PM
Fork Horn

What type grouse yu after? The sharptailes around these parts can be found in different areas at different parts of the day. One time my pointer kept running up into the ankel high grass and I tried to keep him in the brushy draws. Well the dog one as the birds were on the flats in that small grass.

curt nulle
Old 11-08-2002, 09:56 AM

I have noticed that PA ruffled grouse are found where deer habitat is good. Since I love to hunt both grouse and deer, I usually never find one without the other. Mostly very brushy, thick places, and "edges."