Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 Openning my own place and need advice >

Openning my own place and need advice

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Openning my own place and need advice

Old 06-28-2004, 09:57 PM

Default RE: Openning my own place and need advice

I love all the extra stuff. For example, Outback Steak House, everything there is BIG, the salads are big, the silverware is big, glass of beer is big - everything is big! Also, the service is outstanding, the waitress/waiters are friendly and outgoing. I remember one time my wife and I ordered a blooming onion, it took about 10 mins to get it (I didn't think that was to bad), they gave it to us for free, because they felt we had to wait to long for it - it's those little things you don't forget!
Old 06-29-2004, 01:53 PM

I thought that I would ask what it is that you would like to have or have had at your favorite BBQ place.....
Good slaw and beans are essential to good BBQ.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

My parents have a very successful steakhouse adn bbq place. They have simple rules for their business. Treat people better than they expect to be treated. Give them more than they can eat. Post a sign that says if you leave here hungry it your own damn fault.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:59 PM

they even asked if i sold it in bottles
Thats the kicker , if enough people ask about the sauces you can bottle & sell them too.
Saw a piece on the food network where a guy made more money selling his sauces then he did at the restaruant. Glass jars & labels made off his PC. DO you plan on doing briskett as well ? No BBQ is complete w/out a briskett. As far as the "towelettes" go , use hot wash cloth size towels instead. Best BBQ place I was ever in ( mississippi ) used the hot towels.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:22 PM

i agree with all the advice given.........

i am hoping to have at least 3 different types of beans to choose from (classic BBQ, chili and portuguese ranch beans - known as Papa's beans in my family)

i have a killer old fashoned sweet cole slaw recipe but also have a couple of others that will be used on specials on occasion.

portions will definately be very large and include (on dinners and lunches) your choice of beans (above), choice of potato salad, macaroni salad or slaw, greens (collard, kale etc. cooked up with ham hocks) and garlic bread....am considering adding a half ear of corn on the cob and dessert (simple stuff...peach cobbler & ice cream)....also considering brunswick stew...the last 3 will definately be on the menu but am not sure if they be included in a lunch/dinner plate most like just served as sides along with several other things like hot wings, garlic fries, Texas toothpicks, ect.....

i like that sign and have been trying to come up with one like it for a while...i think that i will just use yours....very good sign!!!

we are going to be starting as small as possible so to start with there will be no servers...depending on how it goes and how much business i get will decide when we are ready for a staff of waitresses...i figure that is about 1 year after opening but that will change if it really takes off...

i have already had mutiple people ask me about selling my sauces (and i will bottle and sell them at some point) but for now i am just focussing on getting this thing going and successful...

i catered a wedding reception this last weekend and my Q sauce was a huge hit....i know it is a killer sauce but it still blows me away how people react to it and how much they like it....will be doing another peddler's fair this fall and with all that i learned from the last time it should be very proffitable...

i am entering the crunch time for a late winter/early spring opening and the 2 places that i have been considering as a location just came up for lease this week...so i have lots of work to do right now and in the next 6 months...both excited and nervous!!!

send some prayers up for me and my place!!!
Old 07-23-2004, 06:32 PM

I have to agree with dog1 about the Brunswick Stew. It's found in a lot of BBQ restaurants in VA, NC, and GA. While I won't start the old argument with dog1 about the origin of Brunswick Stew (GA vs. VA), I must concur that it is a must in any BBQ restaurant. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2004, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

Hey MJW!

I can tell you that here in Missouri and over in the western part of Tennesse, slaw is always offered. It should be a creamy-sweet type slaw IMO. It should be juicy so it kinda moistens up the bun.

Sauce is always basted in Memphis style BBQ. It is also offered on the side, warm, for dipping. Do yourself a favor and get your ribs from the smaller type hogs, not those great big sow-belly ribs.

One thing they do around here that I like: Most places have wooden floors, and they give you buckets of peanuts in the hull to eat while you wait for your food to arrive. Most folks appreciate the peanuts and the places around here just tell you to throw the hulls in the floor. To be honest, i kinda like eating peanuts just so i can throw 'em in the floor.

The thing about different type sauces is a good idea as well. Some folks like a spicy, sauce with lots of pepper and others like a sticky-sweet sauce. Dry rubs are good too.
Pulled pork is a must, but don't forget sliced as well......

Good luck!

GH