HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Openning my own place and need advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/53269-openning-my-own-place-need-advice.html)

Michael J. Weigel 02-16-2004 07:15 PM

Openning my own place and need advice

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am working on the menu for my 1st restaurant...
I am working on the official propoposal that will be given to investors (I have 2 different resaurant themes..1 is Italian deli/sit down restaurant and the other is a BBQ place)....

I have the Italian deli menu all worked out and I have BBQ menu done as well but I thought that I would ask what it is that you would like to have or have had at your favorite BBQ place.....So...

What it is that you would like to have or have had at your favorite BBQ place???

Dave590 02-16-2004 07:40 PM

RE: Openning my own place and need advice

Wow, That is really a big step...One that, regardless of the outcome, you will never forget working on.

Food and Beverage is a hard industry to be successfull in, and it's rarely the food itself that will make or break you.

It's all the other stuff that makes the visit enjoyable. An easy atmosphere, friendly wait staff, quick service and amenities, that a customer looks for, and more importantly, what your investors look for.

The menu will generally take care of itself, some things will sell, and some things won't. It's making the customer happy that will bring them back.

In my humble opinion, the things that make an eatery enjoyable is a ready supply of beer, a happy waitress, and good food...In that order.

I hope you a lot of luck in this edeavor.

young_gun 02-16-2004 08:12 PM

ilove huge steakes, just because i love steak in general and if im going to pay money for them they better be big. but i like ribs as well

etothepii 02-16-2004 09:07 PM

Different types of barbeque .. sweet, smokey, etc. Offer something exotic, bbq buffalo, etc. Fudruckers, a burger chain, offers emu burgers... something with a hook, to catch people's attention, but unique and tastey too.

Good luck!

Michael J. Weigel 02-16-2004 09:11 PM

ya, having worked in quite a few places over the years I have seen a lot of stuff and honestly my biggest consideration is this....
LOCATION, LOCATION and LOCATION...
i am on the main hwy to the southern entrance of Yosemite so the tourist traffic is a big, BIG thing but i will need to be close enough to the locals to survive the slow down that comes with winter...BBQ is what i want to do (and if i include a delivery service it will really be a big time bonus for both the customers and my business)....

i am saving every post here to my own computer to a special area devoted for this endevor....when it happens (and it will happen) i will let you all know and there will be a special for my huntingnet pals.....hmmmm not sure what but it should be good....maybe a bottemless mug of beer or something...i am not sure......;)

please let me know what was missing from or the best thing that you ever had at a BBQ place...all advice is more than welcome.....

etothepii 02-16-2004 09:56 PM

please let me know what was missing from or the best thing that you ever had at a BBQ place...all advice is more than welcome.....
All right, this might not qualify, but have plenty of those moist towelettes handy!

:D:D:D:D:D

Jorgy 02-16-2004 11:05 PM

maybe a bottemless mug of beer or something
You are going to go out of business if you do that!:)

For me, the thing that will make me return (which is the most important as far as I'm concerned) is great service, and awesome bbq sauce. Lots of bbq places are the same, and the side items are usually compairable, but if you have yourself a great bbq sauce, I will return to your place. mmmmmmmmmmmm, bbq. Of course even the best bbq sauce in the world won't cover up for a crappy piece of meat, but you get the picture.

jerseyhunter 02-17-2004 06:00 AM

The best ribs I ever ate were from a local Bar/Restaurant. It was all in the sauce, The owner was a good frind of mine and would never let anyone know how he made it. I tried watching but would always get chased. He started with.1/2-1 gal. Open Pit BBQ sauce then added about 6 ozs of Jack Daniels, Mug of Beer The rest was kept confidential . So work on your BBQ sauce. Good Luck PS He baked the ribs in the oven the day before for about 4-6 hrs then put them in the walk in fridge and just throw on the grill the next day to heat and brown. The meat fell off the bone.

Popere 02-17-2004 07:58 AM

I think the delivery part will go over great. I wish I could get bbq delivered around here. I wish I could get descent bbq around here. Will you deliver to colorado?

Dave590 02-17-2004 11:01 AM

I've always been partial to places that bring beer to the table iced down in a galvanized bucket six at a time, and have a big hole in the middle of the table with a trash can underneath. You just toss your bones and bottles down the hole as you finish them.:D

A roll of paper towels on the table is a good touch, along with a few wet wash cloths.