Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 chicken (or shrimp) with cajun basil cream sauce >

chicken (or shrimp) with cajun basil cream sauce

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

chicken (or shrimp) with cajun basil cream sauce

Old 08-04-2004, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default chicken (or shrimp) with cajun basil cream sauce

Ingredients
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow bell peper
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup fresh basil
onion
shallots
mushrooms
3 boneless chicken breasts or shrimp or game bird
salt
pepper
cajun seasoning (It should look like a powder, you don't want the kind with alot of salt)
olive oil
heavy cream
pasta (whatever you like)

Slice up all of the bell pepper (approx. 2 cups worth), slice up the mushrooms (approx. 1 cup) and slice the onions and shallots (however many you want). Now heat a large frying pan with olive oil and add the vegetables and the crushed garlic. continue to sautee and season with salt, pepper and cajun seasoning. While this is cooking cover your chicken breast in the cajun seasoning and cook completely. Either in a seperate frying pan on in the oven. Also start cooking the pasta in a seperate pot. Once your vegetables are half way cooked add about a quart of heavy cream to start your sauce. (this part is always up to you) Just keep adding heavy cream until it looks like a good mix of vegetables to sauce.Slowly reduce over medium heat.Take your basil and finely chop it and add to the sauce and mix it in. This is the point in the recipe where you will need to taste and season. It may surprise you but it will take alot of cajun seasoning and salt to bring out all of the flavor. Salt is the key, it's not that you can really taste the salt but it will really bring out the flavor once you reach the right amount. Add a little at a time while stirring until you get the desired flavor. I always add planty of cajun first until I get the right heat, then add the salt to bring out the rest of the flavor. Now use a slurry (flower mixed with water) to thicken it up. Once again add it slowly until you get the desired consistency, be careful as it will continue to thicken even after the slurry is added. Once the sauce is complete add your cooked pasta and stir. To plate simply place the pasta on a plate and top with a chicken breast. This recipe can be changed in countless ways and nothing is set in stone. After a few times of making and tweaking it you should have it just the way you like it and it's great. Also try mixing in shrimp with the pasta and sauce and leaving out the chicken. Personally I like this way alot better. I hope you can understand my recipe, as I said I never measured so mine turns out in different amounts all the time Good luck and let me know what you think.