Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Canning deer

Old 08-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Default Canning deer

Hey guys. This year will be my first year of canning whitetail. I have the jars, seals, pressure cooker and everything. Any good advice? WHat have you had good luck with? ANy info would be great! Thanks!
-JAke
Old 08-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

You can just can venison with a little salt, pepper, garlic in a beef broth or you can do a stew here is my favorite

Canned Venison Stew
1 lb. Venison stew meat cubed
1 Beef bouillon cube
1/2 cup Lima beans
1 cup Potatoes, diced
1/2 cup String beans
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Carrots, sliced
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Celery, sliced
1/8 cup dry red wine and 1 Tbs. flour
2 Tbs. Onion, chopped
1 Tbs. Drake's crispy fry mix
1/2 tsp Garlic, sliced
1 cup Warm water
2 Tbs. Home cured venison ham or reg. ham

Pack raw ingredients in quart jar in above order to within one inch of top, add flour to wine and add to jar, don’t over fill, seal and process for 90 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Canned Venison

Yield: 12

Preparation is easy
Yield: 12 half-pound jars

Ingredients:
For the Canned Venison

· 6 lb. venison (bone out)
· salt

Directions:
For the Canned Venison

1. Clean and sterilize the jars by putting them in a warm oven to heat for 10 minutes. Boil the lids in water for 5 minutes to soften the rubber seal.
2. Trim all fat and any bone from the venison. Cut into pieces that will fit into the jars. For every250 millilitres of meat add half a teaspoon of salt. Leaving a small amount of space at the top, seal the jars and cook under pressure for 90 minutes.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

1. Debone meat from deer and remove all fat, skin, etc you don't want to eat.
2. Cut meat into 1" squares.
3. Put un-cooked meat into quart size canning jars.
4. Add 1 t-spoon of salt on top of the meat.
(This is all you have to add. Everything else is to taste.)
5. Add seal and screw on lid and tighten.
6. Put in pressure cooker.
7. Add water to cover 3/4 of the jar(s) in the cooker.
8. Put lid on cooker and secure into place.
9. Cook until the pressure is at 10 -15lbs. No less than 10 no more than 15.
10. Once pressure reaches this, keep it there for 45 minutes.
11. Let pressure drop and cooker cool.
12. Take out the jars and make sure they are sealed. Discard unsealed jars.
**Make sure jars are not cold before this. As long as they are at room temp. they will not bust.

The meat is good for 3 years now. Once you cook it you will be amazed at the amout of juice that is in the jar
Old 09-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Spike

Smile

When we can deer we add a chunk of pork fat about the size of your thumb. I don't really know why but thats was what mom did so we still do it to. Favorite way to eat it is open jar pour into a medium scauce pan put on med heat. Take 2 cups of bisquik and 2/3 cup of milk and mix until doughy then spoon onto meat in pan and cover and cook for 15 min or until dough is cooked. Eat hot. Man am I hungry.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Spike

I do mine the same except I add BBQ sauce to the jars then cook,It is awsome as a sandwich or with crackers.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

the instructions above were very good, you really just need to add salt and pressure cook them. No need to throw away the ones that do not seal, just use as soon as you can. also, when you pour them out of the jars, do not stir them or it will turn to much. great to use on sandwiches and spagettie sauce.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:07 AM
Typical Buck

here's how i can my deer
cut into 1in cubes
fill jars almost full
add 1/4 of a big onion
add 1 beef boulon cube
fill to neck with water,run a butter knife down in jars to let water get down past meat
pressure cook at 15lbs for 90min

to eat,open jar pour of water,pour in pan and add 1 can of beef gravy,heat and serve. i like mine over toast.

i have just about eatin all 46 quarts that i canned last yr. the best thing about canning deer is you can freeze your deer in quarters when you kill it and thaw it out in january and can it.

Last edited by srwshooter; 09-21-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been reading these recipes. I've done a lot of canning, and I agree for the most part with most of all that's been said. I do, however, believe that 90 min. in a pressure cooker is a bit too long. I find that 75 min. at 15 lb. pressure makes for well-cooked and more tender venison in PINT jars. I use pints because they are much more handy for me. Just the wife and myself. A little salt and a clove of garlic in each one with just a tad of water added.....Just the way we do it......
Old 10-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use this....
Brown the cubes/pieces of meat by boiling in the blood and water.
Fill quart jars about about 90% with meat.
Add 3 beef boulion cubes, 1/8 teaspoon of salt, 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt, and as much onion as you like (I use about 1/8 cup).
Fill with the browning juice above meat and if you run out of that then fill the rest of the way with water.
Then preasure cook at 10lbs for 85-90min.

I've also done big cunks like ones that barely fit into the jars with same add ins and just heat that up for sandwiches like shredded beef.

For meals I do like above or this witht he smaller chunks.

I usually dump the jar into a pan and add a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup and heat it up. Then pour over noodles and top with french fried onions. It's like a strogenough kinda but better imo.

Other wise you can add all kinds of stuff and make sandwiches or whatever you care for.

Heck sometimes I just open a jar and eat it cold/at room temp. Good snack. Just toss it in the fridge and you got a snack all week. WCL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.