Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Wild Boar Ham

Old 07-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wild Boar Ham

Ok, I have a 9lb cured ham off of a wild boar I shot a few months back. What the heck should I do with it? How do you cook something like this?

Thanks
Jayson
Old 07-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wild Boar Ham

Sure you can find a bunch of recipes if you google it. I have never cooked wild boar before. Indawoods(kitchen) might be able to help with this. Shoot him a pm!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I had a cured ham I'd just simmer it in water until it was tender..It will probably take several hours..

I just cooked up a fresh ( uncured) ham roast from a boar I shot in February..Did it in the crockpot until it was falling apart tender...Very good...
Old 07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: JakeinTX

Ok, I have a 9lb cured ham off of a wild boar I shot a few months back. What the heck should I do with it? How do you cook something like this?

Thanks
Jayson

Pack sides with brown sugar,,toastsides with a torch till just starting to carmelize, thentoothpic on rings of pineapple / candied cherries / mandarin orange , cover aluminum foil, bake at about 300 degrees until desired doness.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: throwingStarr

Thanks
Jayson

Pack sides with brown sugar,,toastsides with a torch till just starting to carmelize, thentoothpic on rings of pineapple / candied cherries / mandarin orange , cover aluminum foil, bake at about 300 degrees until desired doness.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies! After I thawed the thing I realized that the processor much to my surprise had had also smoked the ham. I combined brownsugar with honey and after slicing the ham down to the bone slathered the ham up, added alot of pineapple and cooked for about 2.5 hours. It was fantastic! Now I gotta go shot some hogs to get some more! I shot two piglets the other night (about 20lbs) and they are waiting to go on the grill. I cant wait.

Thanks
Jayson
Old 07-11-2008, 04:18 AM
Dominant Buck

I shot two piglets the other night (about 20lbs) and they are waiting to go on the grill. I cant wait.
Sometimes them little one's get a littleslimy......I prefer 65-85 pounders for the pit...
Old 07-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.camospace.com/Two_Guys_Outdoors

If you look at the first video here you will see the two pigs I whacked. What do you mean slimy?

Thanks
Jayson
Old 07-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: throwingStarr

..Eat ,,Enjoy.

Thanks
Jayson