Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Smoker Cookers

Old 04-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Smoker Cookers

I got one of them smokers to, Had the same problem keeping the right heat.I took the charcoal pan and modified it, Had a corner post from cyclone fence laying around,cut a piece 4" long. Then I cut the hole in the bottom of the pan the same size in diamter. Then I slit the pipe several times about 1/2" deap. Bend every other one 90degrees and stick the staight ones through the hole in the pan, then bend them over,the pipe will now stay in the pan. Welding would work to, but didn't have one. Now I just set it on one of them burners that you use to deep fry turkeys. Put your charcoal in the pan and lite the burner,it will start the charcoal. As the charcoal starts to go out add more or just use the burner to maintain the heat. I can smoke a 12lb turkey in about 5hrs.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have only used it once so far to smoke a bunch of chicken breasts. Definetly a hard time keeping the heat but thankfully the the chicken cooked just fine. Actually the chicken turned out awsome. I am hoping to do it again this weekend. But definetly a pain trying to keep the temperature regulated. Think it will just take practice. After I was done cooking I actually grabbed the charcoal pan and dumped it while it was still hot and found ton's of unburned coals under the ash. Think I might have put in to much or didn't let it all burn before putting on the lid and closing the door.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

JFyou might want to try drilling a few holes in your coal pan to draw mor air
Old 05-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a great idea. I have used it a few times now. The food has turned out great but is very hard to do. You really have to baby it the entire time. It definetly is a learning experience though. The last two times I figured out that I put on to much coals in the beginning. After I was done I dumped the coal pan to find a bunch of unburned coals. Might have to try drilling the holes though.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

For me it's like turning a ship. You have to preempt overheating, but not too much to where you end up way below. Gotta tweak it and babysit, preferably with beer in hand.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougMD

For me it's like turning a ship. You have to preempt overheating, but not too much to where you end up way below. Gotta tweak it and babysit, preferably with beer in hand.
Now there's a man who loves his cookin'!!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I hada Charbroil charcoal smoker, way too much work compared to propane or electric. I changed to a Masterbuilt 7 in 1 smoker grill, it uses either charcoal or propane, way better choice for smoking and cooking. You can use charcoal for hassle free smoking, or propane for longer term smoking or grilling. It also converts to a Deep fryer/boiler with supplemental equipment.

Fourth and fifth items respectively.

http://www.masterbuilt.com/prod_smokers.html