Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Smoker help.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Smoker help.

I am looking at trying out a propane smoker. I do not want to spend a ton and I do not want electric or charcoal. I would like to be in the $100 to $200 range. I have seen some at Bass, Gander, and a couple other sporting stores. Thing is I know nothing about the brands or what is needed to make up a solid working unit that will work good and hold up. I know there are bells and whistles and stainless and stuff I do not need or do not want to invest in at like $600. Have any of you had any experience or recomendations to pass along. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Smoker help.

I don't know alot about smokers but my dad bought a couple a few years ago for christmas presents for a few of the boys so he must of got them for pretty cheap. They have been holding up well, he has used them for thanksgiving and christmas dinners among other things. I would try Menards or maybe Fleetfarm if you have one in the area. And ask alot of questions at Sportsman's wharehouse. Most have their employees use the products and they will give it to you straight up.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

You say you dont want to buy a charcoal smoker. Well the charcoal smokers arent limited to just charcoal. You can buy hickory chunks and mesquite chunks and use them in the so called charcoal smokers. You can buy the chunks of wood at wal mart pretty cheap and just use them. Charcoal doesnt have to be used. I love cooking with my smoker with just the wood chunks. I love the mesquite the best. Great flavor... Your decision though...
Old 07-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is what I have and love it it's all propane with a smoke box.

Smokey MT series Great Outdoors I PAID 160.00
NO BABY SITTIN
Old 07-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Thats pretty cool blcaklab. What was ya cooking in it? Bet it was very tasty...
Old 07-15-2007, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

I have the same smoker as "Black Lab"
i got it about 3 years ago and it works great! its called a Smokey Mountain smoker and I got it at Gander mountain
Old 07-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arrowmaster it might be some of this salmon.

Fletch NY
Great outdoors smokey mt smoker IMO is worth a good look. The priceing is reasonable and very user friendly. It comes with four racks, water pan, and a cast iron chip box.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

I have the same smoker as that which is in the photo,for a smoker it is alright,I have had several kinds and types through the years and if I where to do it all over again I would simply use the weber grill like I have forr smoking.For summer sausages and smoked meats where yyou hve to control the temps I wouldn't recomend the propane smoker at all.The electric insulated box smoker are best.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

That looks awful tasty Blacklab...
Old 07-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you for the input!!

That salmon looks fantastic!! I can almost smell it and we are a long ways apart!!

Blacklab and Bigguy, that is what I was wondering if those ones I saw at Gander like yours were any good. I was not really looking to spend $600+ for something I may use 4 times a year. If I turn out to be a junky then I will be more experienced to upgrade as fits me.

Quick Reply: Smoker help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.