Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

carp

Old 03-04-2008, 07:36 AM

Default RE: carp

Carp is a bottom feeder fish, which means that they eat off the bottom of the stream, lake, pond, river.

Their diet is crap.

Most people will not even consider eating them because of their natural diet.

If you stop and think about it, with all the pollution in the water these days.

Everytime you eat one, you are eating other peoples crap, unwanted minerals - zinc, iron, lead, mercury and other toxins that gathers at the bottom of the water.

They do make good ferterlizer for the garden. As long as their pollution does not affect your crop. If they were to transfer their pollutants to your soil, you wouldn't be able to safely eat your produce.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:34 PM

one question, if you smoke it, how do you keep it lit???? just kidding, to me it is only good smoked if you catch them in the spring of the year when the water is the cleanest, and the meat isnt so mushy
brian mikkelson
Old 03-12-2008, 10:33 PM

a buddy of mine did some he cleaned the fish cut out all the dark meat an large bones salt an pepper canned it in a pressure cooker
Now i will tell you i am not one to put carp in my mouth but i did an was shocked !it was just like tuna i don't see me going to that much work for what you get in the end but if you get the chance try it
Old 03-13-2008, 02:20 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ducksmoker

a buddy of mine did some he cleaned the fish cut out all the dark meat an large bones salt an pepper canned it in a pressure cooker
Now i will tell you i am not one to put carp in my mouth but i did an was shocked !it was just like tuna i don't see me going to that much work for what you get in the end but if you get the chance try it
I have never tried it but I have heard this before, that canned carp was good. I was also told that they sometimes add a few dropps of liquid smoke to the jars.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

If you realy eat some carp, catch it hook and line. then keep it alive, like in a farmers water tank with fresh water all the time. after a couple weeks they will make much better table fair. It just cleans the mud out of them, and firms the meat, but still boney. thats why they are best smoked.