Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Venison Chili Recipes?

Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Venison Chili Recipes?

I thought I posted this earlier today but I can't seem to find it so I'll post again. After reading the "Whats for Supper" post and not wanting to hijack the thread, I got real hungry seeing the pic of that slow cooker full of venison chili. I had a can of chili to bring to work for lunch, but I forgot it. Anyway, I'd love to break out my crock pot and cook up some chili, but I don't have a decent recipe. Stove top cooking is okay too, whatever the recipe calls for. If anybody has a good venison chili recipe that they don't mind sharing, I'd like to see a few posted and pick out one or 2 to try. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:30 AM

Default RE: Venison Chili Recipes?

I posted my recipe here:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2450078

careful, you'll make new friends REAL quick.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Typical Buck

It is not mine to give out but contact AF Hunter here on HNI. He posted it a few weeks back. It is the best chili that I have ever had. I amgetting hungry just thinking about it again. I'll have to make up a new batch!
Old 12-07-2007, 03:13 PM

1 venison neck roast, 3 - 5 lbs.
1 quart tomatoes, chopped
4 C cooked pinto beans
2 C chopped onions
4 - 5 cloves garlic, minced
2 C chopped green peppers
2 - 3 jalapeno peppers, chopped
2 - 3 hot chili peppers, chopped (may substitute 1 T crushed red pepper)
1/2 C ketchup or tomato paste (optional)
1 1/2 T salt
1 can of beer

Rub seasoned salt into the roast, then cook roast in a crock-pot, Dutch oven or covered roaster. Place roast on a rack, so that all juice is allowed to drip down into pan. Start out with some liquid in pan. (Beer works well) Roast may be boiled instead, but only use about a quart of water. When roast is very tender, remove from pan, cool and debone, removing as much fat and gristle as possible. Chop the meat “across the grain” into very small pieces. Chill the pan drippings or stock from boiling, skim all the fat off, strain, and add to the chili pot. Add the meat and all other ingredients, cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally, and working up a good appetite by drinking beer and watching football. Serve over crushed corn chips, topped with grated cheddar cheese.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Here's mine:

3 lbs ground venison
2 pack of McCormicks seasoning (reg or hot)
1 large white or spanish onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
Mexican hot chili powder
Ground Chipoltle powder or 2 chipoltle's in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon of cocoa powder (cooking cocoa not the sweetened stuff)
1 can of beer minus a few sips
2 cans of Pinto beans
2 16 oz cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce
Franks Red Hot

Mine is different every time. I like to start with the basic McCormicks seasoning packs and doctor it up as I go. A lot of the measurements are guesses on my part, for example you can't overdue the cocoa powder so go light at first. My friend swaps a package of chili seasoning for Taco seasoning, I've never done that but he swears by it. Chipoltles are pretty hot so if you don't like real hot stuff proceed with caution, great smokey flavor but my wife and kids like mild chili so I have to make a small batch for myself. Experiment with different stuff.