Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

VENISON CHILI

Old 01-18-2005, 03:48 PM

Default VENISON CHILI

I have never made VENISON CHILI, but I have heard many great things about it. Well I decided to go to the experts, and ask you people what’s your favorite recipes? Any old family recipes? Any secret ingredients you like to add? Feel free to post your recipes, thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: VENISON CHILI

Use as many fresh ingrediants as you possibly can. I like to put a can or two of beer in my Chili.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

A bunch of chili powder!!
Old 01-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

We don't have any secret recipe. We just make it the same way we do regular chili but instead of hamburger we add deer burger. It's great! You'll like it.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:23 PM

I use 1 bag of Carroll Shelby chili powder mix. It comes in a mini brown bag.
1 large green jalapeno
1 large sweet onion
1 16oz. can pinto beans.
1 8oz. high grade tomato paste
2 pounds of back strap, rump meat or any other non fatty meat. The less fat and tendons the better.
-------------------------------------------------

I will spend about an hour our more slicing and cubing the meat till each piece it the size of a pea. I have a very sharp filet knife and I usually stop and resharpen it half way thru. once all the meat is cubed it goes into my cast Iron skillet on medium with the sweet onion and jalapeno(seeds too) both finely diced. I brown the meat while the onions sweat out. You know when its done when all the onion sweat has evaporated out and you can see the skillet bottom while stirring.

While the meat is browning I have a cast iron dutch oven that I get the tomato paste, beans and chili seasonings and 16oz. water warmed up in. when the meat is ready I scoop it into the chili pot. I give it a good stirring and cover for an hour at medium low heat. I try to keep it hot but just under where it bubbles. after about an hour I uncover and let simmer on a low heat till the texture get just the way I like it. If you like it watery simmer less if you like it thick and chunky like me it takes about 2 hours of simmering for the water to evaporate off.

now if you are lazy and don't mind losing some texture and taste you can use a meat grinder. All I can say is after the first time I used tiny meat cubes in my chili I swore I'd never use a grinder again and I haven't.

As far as eating I some times I cook up some extra meat and make fajitas with the browned meat and onions. I also like to use the chili to make burritos or as a pour on topping for a pile of tortilla chips. If all you plan to do is have bowls of chili this will server about 6 people.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:05 PM

thanks for all the tips!