Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 best recipe for inner tenderloins? >

best recipe for inner tenderloins?

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

best recipe for inner tenderloins?

Old 11-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default best recipe for inner tenderloins?

I got one last night and have all of the meat butchered and "aging" in the fridge...will wrap and freeze most of it, but want to cook the small tenderloins on Sat night with some nice red and college football! Any thoughts?
Old 11-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: best recipe for inner tenderloins?

The way i cook up tenderloins..
Get a good cast-iron pan..add vegetable oil
Get it good and hot...add peppers,onions,mushrooms
Add tenderloins...I then use my garlic/sea salt grinder and grind it over tenderloins generously...let it cook in all those vegetables

Add additional salt/pepper to desire...don't over cook the tenderloins and enjoy! Boy am i hungry now!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to BBQ the back straps whole. Last time, we let them set overnight in Bull's Eye BBQ sauce, and McCormick steak seasoning, and them barbequed to medium rare. Nothing much better than that. Also bbq'd potatoes and corn on the cob with the back straps.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:51 PM

here's a couple ways:
#1,,take 2" thick loin/filet and butterfly cut leaving 1/4" atached,preheat broiler on hi,bruch olive oil(good stuff not the cheap)to side facing up and sprinkle with pepper,broil for 6 minutes,turn and add oil & pepper to other side,back in 6 mins,med rare,,serve
#2,,,jack daniels honey tereaki,come in a zip loc bag for marinate,let soak for 1-2 hours,pan fry or grill(add water for pan fry),med rare,,serve
#3,,,easy one,,brown sugar & ketchup1 cup of each for 1 1/2lb meat,put in zip loc bag and massage,let stand in fridge for 1/2 hour,grill ,bake,broil,fry(use water for fry),,,,,enjoy

or just fri with olive oil salt & pepper in fry pan,,just don't over cook,,,,,good luck
Old 11-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You said "inner" so you mean the real tenderloins, not backstraps. Careful not to let those little beuaties dry out, because they will.

They are typically too small to butterfly, we usually cut them into medallions and fry in a skillet, just some virgin olive oil, pepper and salt. Thats it, nothing fancy, don't go ruining the natural tender flavour of such good meat with sugar filled sauces and overpowering spices.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

let meat reach room temp

Koser(sp?) or sea salt
Fresh ground black peper

Coat with olive oil lightly.

Toss on screaming hot grill. turn in one minute and reduce heat to low. Cook a few extra min on each side till desiered doneness. (6-8 min)

Old 11-22-2006, 05:38 PM
EBB
Spike

Dog & Mello have it right - it's too good a piece of meat to pan or skillet cook, IMO is all...
Broil it or grill it. I'll leave the marinade (or not) to you, but I will say the single most important thing you can do to a piece of meat is to let it SIT after cooking for 5-7 mins.
Cook it just under your usual taste pref (med rare is of course the 'norm') because it will continue to cook INWARD as it sits. This eliminates blood on your plate by cooking it evenly & it keeps the moisture in - you can still prep it as rare as you like. Think about a pot of boiling water when you take the lid off. Same as cutting into steak. That moisture is steam, let it work for you instead of releasing it.
Big missconception that steak should be served piping hot. You'll taste the subtlties more at just above room temp.

Worked as a chef in Montreal, had an awesome Parisian chef "grill" this into me - it's never failed...
Old 11-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

I soak them a little while in saltwater and vinegar then rinse with water. flour them salt and pepper fry in bacon grease. Then make a pan of gravy from the grease.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

I cut the inner tenderloins out right after field dressing the deer so they don't dry out. I then soak some of the blood out and then cut them in mini disc shaped bites(cut across grain)and then season both sides with your favorite dry shake, I personally like Butler Pantry's Venison Seasoning. It flavors and tenderizes the meat at the same time. I then pan fry them on medium heat with a little olive or vegetable oil in the pan.Cook to medium, ENJOY!
Old 11-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

I grill mine whole with a generous portion of Cavindish Greek season, all over,to medium rare. The best tip on here was to let them rest for about 5 minutes.
PS, this the only portion of the deer I don't share with anyone but me and her.

One more thing you may want to do with any part of the deer meat is to brine it. Soak it in salt and water over night. This causes the meat to be moist and juicy. You can find brining recipies on the net. Good luck.