Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 What fish do you feel is the best to eat? >

What fish do you feel is the best to eat?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

What fish do you feel is the best to eat?

Old 01-28-2017, 02:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grouper, Halibut and good old cat fish breaded on corn meal and deep fried.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:32 AM
Fork Horn

Fresh water-walleye. Ocean-black sea bass.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

#1: Yellow perch
#2: Walleye pike

Other fish are lesser fish in my opinion. I am restricting my evaluation to fresh water game fish.

I happen to like both Halibut and Chilean Sea Bass very well, but I'm buying those down at the store.

My father used to fish in NW Wisconsin every year (my mother was at the resort with him, but not on the lake fishing that much). He would fish with minnows in the middle of the day for Walleye and Perch on sandbars in a very large lake. The Walleye and Perch were similar in quality, but the edge, in my opinion, went to the Yellow perch. He would surface fish for bass in shallow shore side areas at first light and last light of day.

My mother would dredge the fish in flour and then fry it in bacon grease. Really, really good. It was important to cook it in hot bacon grease so the flour didn't get too greasy.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds good Alsatian, the perch should be spawning here in a month. The fresh Halibut i caught near Homer AK years ago was my all time fav. Otherwise Walleye cheeks.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

that's easy. walleye. not too fishy tasting and excellent breaded.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Croppie, bluegill and red snapper are very good.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be willing to bet if any of yall ever get to try Kokanee salmon about as long as your arm, gut quick, pour a small bit of peanut oil in a cast iron skillet big enough for a family of purto-ricans to take a bath in, season inside & outside, and throw them in there still flopping. Flip, then when both sides/all through are done take them out & lay them on a serving platter or suitable huge piece of bark from driftwood (DRY), flip over, then flip again, and you're holding a perfect skeleton including head, tail, and every bone, and there's 2 perfect full length filets lying on it's skin with NO wasted meat. They're so delicate & flaky the meat comes right off the bones allowing you to do that. The flavor is SOOO exquisite and about 1,820,183 times better and fresher than if you buy "fresh" filets at a store, and NO strong taste of any kind! I'd bet you would change your vote!
Old 03-06-2017, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
I'd be willing to bet if any of yall ever get to try Kokanee salmon about as long as your arm, gut quick, pour a small bit of peanut oil in a cast iron skillet big enough for a family of purto-ricans to take a bath in, season inside & outside, and throw them in there still flopping. Flip, then when both sides/all through are done take them out & lay them on a serving platter or suitable huge piece of bark from driftwood (DRY), flip over, then flip again, and you're holding a perfect skeleton including head, tail, and every bone, and there's 2 perfect full length filets lying on it's skin with NO wasted meat. They're so delicate & flaky the meat comes right off the bones allowing you to do that. The flavor is SOOO exquisite and about 1,820,183 times better and fresher than if you buy "fresh" filets at a store, and NO strong taste of any kind! I'd bet you would change your vote!
I bet I won't. I have had many different Salmon and trouts over the years, I would still put tripletail, grouper, and snapper over pretty much any other. I would put a fried softshell blue crab sandwich over any freshwater fish I have ever had.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would put a fried softshell blue crab sandwich over any freshwater fish I have ever had.
Those are crazy good.

Out of all the fresh off the boat fish i tried in Florida, the Tally aka Ocean Trigger fish we caught was preferred by everyone in our 7 person group. We fished everyday for 2 weeks and caught a huge variety of fish.

Fresh water im partial to crappie, goggle eye and smallish catfish from cleaner waters. Trout is pretty much at the bottom and ive eaten/caught plenty of them. Browns and Brookies to me are the best of the lot. I would rather eat a white bass than a trout and that isn't saying much for them.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Those are crazy good.

Out of all the fresh off the boat fish i tried in Florida, the Tally aka Ocean Trigger fish we caught was preferred by everyone in our 7 person group. We fished everyday for 2 weeks and caught a huge variety of fish.

Fresh water im partial to crappie, goggle eye and smallish catfish from cleaner waters. Trout is pretty much at the bottom and ive eaten/caught plenty of them. Browns and Brookies to me are the best of the lot. I would rather eat a white bass than a trout and that isn't saying much for them.
And a fresh Halibut from cold water trumps it all