Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Do fish feel pain?

Old 04-30-2003, 01:14 PM

Default Do fish feel pain?

The following:

Guys --you have got to stop using bee venom and acetic acid in your bait or on your lures[:' (]

THE RESEARCH FOUND that fish have receptors in their heads and that subjecting them to noxious substances causes “adverse behavioural and physiological changes.”
“This fulfils the criteria for animal pain,” said Dr. Lynne Sneddon who headed the research, published on Wednesday by the Royal Society, Britain’s national academy of science.
Bee venom or acetic acid was injected into the lips of some of the trout, while control groups of fish were injected with saline solution or merely handled.
The trout injected with venom or acid began to show “rocking” motion — similar to that seen in stressed higher vertebrates — and those injected with acetic acid began rubbing their lips in the gravel of their tank.
“These do not appear to be reflex responses,” Sneddon said.

The affected fish also took three times longer to resume feeding activity compared to those in the control groups.
The team from the Roslin Institute and the University of Edinburgh found the fish had polymodal nociceptors — receptors that respond to tissue-damaging stimuli — on their heads.
It is the first time these receptors have been found in fish. They have similar properties to those found in amphibians, birds and mammals including humans.
Animal activists said the findings showed that fishing was cruel.
‘Until we have proper, bona fide evidence, we will never know. It’s supposition.’
— CHARLES JARDINE
Gone Fishing “We would encourage anglers to lay down their rods. It’s ridiculous that in 2003 we are still talking about whether fish feel pain — of course they do,” Dawn Carr of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) told Sky News.
But anglers vowed to keep on enjoying their sport.
“Until we have proper, bona fide evidence, we will never know. It’s supposition,” said Charles Jardine, director of pro-angling group Gone Fishing.
“I don’t think the millions of anglers throughout the whole of the world would see themselves as cruel individuals.”

© 2003 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

Old 05-01-2003, 02:08 AM
Matriarch Doe!

Default RE: Do fish feel pain?

[]Fish have lips?!!![:-]
Old 05-01-2003, 05:22 AM

They were injecting the female' s lips so they would be more atractive to the males. Next they' ll be giving them b**b jobs.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fish have lips?!!!
Not really, but I know that chickens have lips !!!!
Old 05-01-2003, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just read this same story in the morning local paper. My first thought was oh great the PETA freaks will once again don those fish suits and a sign that say " ouch" with a hook in the mouth[:@]

To be perfectly honest I always thought they felt some sort of discomfort, but equated it to a cut or anything else we humans endure. It is a bother at first but really doesn' t hinder in daily life and eventually becomes a distant memory. The exception is with fish their mouths heal much faster. I can support both above statements having caught the same fish in the same outing on a occasion, also catching fish with hooks in their mouth that were almost rusted out at the hook, but the actual lure was intact. As far as death when released, it has been largely studied and published that the hooking sight is not the cause of mortality(unless swallowed and then it is a problem) but rather the stress put on a fish or improper handling of the fish. Thats why barbless hooks are important, single hooks versus trebles, minimize the stress put on the fish and contact with the fish is very important when practicing catch and release. If your keeping all you catch well then it is somewhat moot of a point.

My believe is God impowered me to have command over the seas and land.(yeap it is in the bible) So that means he has created fish for us to enjoy and by darn it I do enjoy every minute of it and will continue to do so. To the PETA people who believe they never hurt anything, what about those veggies you all eat...don' t they have feeling as well????
Old 05-01-2003, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those big cheeked/bubble eyed goldfish remind me of breast implants.

Some fish have lips yep.[:-]

Next we will have to use novacain auto/injector hooks[:' (]

Some fish could use more teeth
& a dental plan,Better schoolin etc.

Bee venim/? pre botox lip plumper?

Ick thy oligist /cosmo tol igists DDs.

@ paid for by the No bait, no hate, its never to late ( unless uer in the can)
Fish free school or is it free the fish school ? Peta program#459.

Old 05-01-2003, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gota wonder some about thoose scotts scientist over there & there animals programs etc dolly& some others [X(] lol
Old 05-01-2003, 12:47 PM

BTW, I caught a really nice steelhead this spring (18 lbs. 38" --it' s at the taxidermist)....It' s snout was wore right down to the BONE from " rooting" in the gravel for eggs -Iwas told. If fish feel pain what was up with THAT fish. Maybe they interpret pain differently than we do.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:33 AM
Typical Buck

Fish don' t interpert. Thats the big difference, they don' t have the gray matter to think or " feel" pain or any other stimuli. They just react to stimuli.

[color=#FF00CC]One Shot One Kill Striper Phil[/color]
Old 05-02-2003, 10:25 AM

I agree with you Striper Phil. I was considering the same thing.

Quick Reply: Do fish feel pain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.