Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Biscuits

Old 01-09-2002, 08:10 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default Biscuits

I am looking for a rec. for Drop Biscuits. I had some in New Mexico that were great. The biscuits are light in texture and have a honey type glaze on them. Does anyone have any to shair?
Thanks,
Rick
Old 01-10-2002, 03:24 PM

Default RE: Biscuits

For easy drop biscuits, I like to use BISQUIK mix. Its easy and they are good.
Old 01-10-2002, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a simple, but delisious recipe from my wife's arsenol...

1-3/4 cups bread flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 cup milk

Sift together the dry ingredients, stir in the oil and milk. Drop the mixture by small tablespoonfuls two inches apart on an oiled biscuit pan or dutch oven and bake at 375 to 400 degrees F. about twenty minutes.

Yum.............

Old 01-10-2002, 08:38 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good but what about the sweet glaze? any Ideas there? Not sticky but sweet.
Rick
Old 01-13-2002, 07:00 PM

Who
Sweet - - - Sweet Glaze on Biscuits???
New one on me. Perhaps you are confused with Sweet Rolls (yeast breads) which aren't biscuits.

People trying to make biscuits, I swear, there is a specific knack to do it.
I had a partner in club cooking, biscuits were his speciality. Dump 5-pounds of flour on a table, salt, baking posder and he'd commence to mixing by hand. I don't remember now, make a hole in the center, toss in some eggs & milk and fold together.
His biscuits would rise over 2-inches high.
And he could make them in any quanity needed.

I cannot make biscuits. Recipe doesn't matter and I can stand and watch a person do it. Then try to copy exactly. My dern biscuits just won't rise like some I've seen.

I met one other person who was a biscuit making artist. Just dump any quanity of flour on the table, do his thing to it. VOOMBA, beautiful tall (like 3" high) biscuits come out of the oven.

I'll make the sausage gravy to pour over the biscuits. Yeah!
nohunt

Snug down real good on that stock and shoot straight
Old 01-14-2002, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was a kid, my grandma (now 95 and still cookin) showed me how to make biscuits. She always said the key was to not work with the dough too much. She said it was like a steak off a steer...the more the steer worked that muscle, the tougher the meat.

Seems to work...
Old 01-14-2002, 07:47 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

These were great. I know biscuits arnt usually glazed but these were and they were not rolls. I tryed to get them to give me the rec. but they would not. I do know they were made from scratch.
Have not had any like them.
Rick.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:49 PM

Light as a Feather Coated Biscuit

Recipe courtesy Betsy Oppenneer

2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 to 11/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup melted butter
One of the coatings listed below
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Put self-rising flour in a large bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or two knives until it is the size of grains of rice. Add buttermilk and toss gently with a fork until the mixture leaves the side of the bowl - mixture should be very wet and sticky. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead just until the mixture holds together. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces and round into a ball. Dip each biscuit into melted butter then into one of the desired coating mixtures below. Place in an ungreased 12 - inch round pan. Once all of the biscuits are in the pan, press the tops slightly so that they spread and are just barely touching. If there is any coating left over, sprinkle it evenly on top. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown.

Cinnamon/Sugar Coating: In a small bowl combine 2 teaspoons cinnamon 1/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/3 cup unbleached flour.

Herb Coating: In a small bowl combine 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil, 2 tablespoons unbleached flour, and 1 teaspoon garlic powder.

Spiciy Coating: In a small bowl combine 1/3 cup finely chopped Cheddar cheese and 3 tablespoons unbleached flour.

Difficulty: Easy

Old 01-18-2002, 08:58 AM

Here is something that was cool for chili, a friends wife did this, was on the box or magazine or something.

Using those store-bought biscuits that you lay on the sheets, but take a piece of tin foil and ball it up, about the size of a raquetball. Lay the biscuits over the top, so they are not touching the pan. cook as normal, when your done you turn them over, take out the tin foil ball, and you have biscuits shaped as bowls. Was great for serving the chili in.

--Jim