Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 please tell me just one negative to crossbows >

please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Old 03-30-2005, 11:34 AM

Default RE: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

What about woman and kids and guys with shoulder problems that may not qualify for disability? Should they just not have the chance to hunt during the archery season? Not to mention what I have seen more than anything else is guys that have never bowhunted before buying a crossbow and then hunting a couple of years and then "graduating" from the crossbow to a compound.
This is a valid point, and I wish and hope allowances can be made for these circumstances without creating loopholes.

Really ? Where would you draw the line ? 85% letoff ? Triggered releases ? 400 fps ? 2 pounds mass wieght and 28" ATA ?
Are you really comparing a compound to a gun? Whats the letoff on a gun? How fps out of a 30 .06 or even a 12 gauge? Oh and what was the ATA on a 12 gauge browning BPS?

Oh, wait, we already HAVE those characteristics, don't we ?
You don't see anything wrong with the high tech stuff because YOU SHOOT IT. And the truth is, you shoot a compound because its vastly more easy than you shooting a recurve, you're more accurate with lots less practice.
Actually I shoot a compund because that's what my father introduced me to when I first started hunting, not because its easy. I will continue to shoot a compound because I believe using a recurve to hunt is an unnecessary risk to wounding an animal when the technology exists to make us more effective.

That is the truth, isn't it ? Its okay to admit it - I took an easier route last fall to kill my KS deer. I'm not ashamed of it at all, glad I did. But the truth is, the recurve was NOT what I should have been hunting with, I realized it, and switched to a much easier weapon that afforded me a good chance at killing a deer within 30 yards of my stand. A crossbow would have given me almost the same identical advantage.
Wow, and this whole time you've been downplaying the effectiveness of the xbow.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:46 AM

Data,

The title of this post is "please tell me just one negative to crossbows"

The negative I give you is that the capabilities of the crossbow are grossly overestimated which, if made legal, could lead to increased numbers of wounded and unrecovered game.

The fact of the matter is you guys have no facts to back up your arguments against this. You may think you have facts but your information is not backed by any real data. If you can somehow find this data I will change my opinion, but you and I both know it does not exist.

Take it for what you will, but I'm not planning on going in circles with you and silent for the next month about this. Weather you want to believe this can and does happen is your problem.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Site Bouncer

Actually no. What I posted was a fact. Anyone here can try and pick it apart but they wont succeed because it is fact. It is without a doubt the shooting proccess differences between the two down to a T.
What you posted was also a fact. I'm not argueing that. By definition (dictionary) a crossbow is a bow. A crossbow pistol is a bow. A 300win mag is a firearm. A .50 cal muzzle loader is a firearm. A .22 rimfire is a firearm.

O.K. Lets hash out what we've accomplished so far.

A thread was started supposedly to debate the impacts of crossbow during general archery season. In doing so , the original poster belittled , degraded , and humiliated compound shooters in the process.

Name calling ensued , individual degrading occurred , silly bets were made , and in the end the folks who were against crossbows in general archery season before are still against them. Some of the folks who were against crossbow use before are probably even more against it now due to the tactics used in trying to get a message accross. The folks who were in favor of crossbows are still in favor of crossbows. Some maybe even more due to the personal attacks generated from this thread.

So here we are with over 50 pages of crap!

If any bets are made?

Here's one thats a given.

I'd be willing to bet that within 10 years the majority of states will allow crossbows during the general archery season. Do a search on how many states are currently looking at the crossbow issue seriously. You'll be surprised. I know my state will vote on it next month.

If the crossbow proponents win? I dont wish this very often but if they win I sure as hell hope you guys are right and I'm wrong!

It's been fun!
Bowfanatic,

I don't think I made myself clear enough. What I was trying to say was the quote you used was from a person and HIS idea of how the two are different. What I failed to say is that I also agree completely with his description and I don't think it could be better said. That being said it still has no bearing on the dictionary and it's definition of what constitutes a bow.

I also agree that I don't think there will be any changes in the sides but I do believe some eyes were opened on both sides. I tried to stay above name calling and if I offended anyone I apologize it was not my intent.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:55 AM

What's the record for # of pages on an actual live thread?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:06 PM

Are you really comparing a compound to a gun? Whats the letoff on a gun? How fps out of a 30 .06 or even a 12 gauge? Oh and what was the ATA on a 12 gauge browning BPS?
It would be kinda silly to compare a bow to a gun wouldn't it ?

Actually I shoot a compund because that's what my father introduced me to when I first started hunting, not because its easy. I will continue to shoot a compound because I believe using a recurve to hunt is an unnecessary risk to wounding an animal when the technology exists to make us more effective.
Uh, doesn't that mean EASIER ? Can you really shoot a recurve as good as you can a compound ? Do you really think thats true ?

And IF crossbows are BETTER than compounds ....... then thats is EXACTLY what you're wasking for, a more effective means to kill deer - right ?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:10 PM

The negative I give you is that the capabilities of the crossbow are grossly overestimated which, if made legal, could lead to increased numbers of wounded and unrecovered game.
That is NOT a negative, its an unfounded fear. You could also say that legalizing crossbows would make more boats sink and increase auto accidents. Now, theres absolutely no datat to back that up - and theres no datat to support increased numbers of wounded and uncovered game either - but we could use that as a negative too, right ?

Of course not. Its preposterous to assume a fear is a negative especially when its an unfounded one. I need only point out in October all the threads that will be right here - from compound shooters - on the missed deer and wounded animals. If that is your only Con sir, then you must simply be against compounds then ?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Site Bouncer

A crossbow consists of a prod (similar in appearance to a bow) mounted on a stock similar to a rifle stock, which has a mechanism to wind and shoot its bolts. These bolts are typically called quarrels, and do not depend upon lift as arrows do. The stock and trigger of hand-held firearms may have been copied from crossbows.

Crossbow bolts must be made to have consistent weights as the mechanical process of engaging a bolt forces a more uniform process than that of using a bow and arrow. This consistent performance was part of what made the crossbow historically a significant force in warfare.

A crossbow contains a string which is held in place by a nut when the bolt is loaded and the cross bow is engaged (referred to as at full cock). Typically, the nut is at the end of the shelf (also called the bolt rest).
MA Jay,

You know, you would have thought with all of this posting I would have looked up the definition of crossbow but I didn't until your post. So I did and here is the definition as per the Websters Dictonary Modern Desk Edition.

"Crossbow: a medieval weapon consisting of a bow set transversely on a wooden stock"

Pretty much sums up what I have been saying all along, it's a form of a bow.

I want to make myself very clear here, I know there are differences between a crossbow and a handheld bow. That has been well documented and I agree with all of those who have posted to that effect.

However to me and to the Websters Dictionary, it's still considered a bow. Furthermore I have listed many differences between a crossbow and a firearm some of which are so obvious and contrasted that there is no way a crossbow could ever be classified as a firearm yet only a handfull of people acknowledged this at all. I think, and I could be wrong here but only BOWFANATIC and yourself.

It seems like everyone else wants to forget the basic premise of how these weapons work and how it makes them vastly different. That will never change.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I meant by the kids remark was that, typically, if a child is not capable physically to handle a compound, then I personally don't think they are mentally ready to use a crossbow.(with children most physical and mental developments go hand and hand)
Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Some kids just aren't very strong even once they get up into their teens and I hate restrictions put on people because of their strength and ability or lack thereof. Some kids are burly and strapping yet mentally very immature while other kids are meek and weak and very mentally superior. It all depends on the kid and should IMO be approached on a case by case basis rather than having a law that forbids them for everyone.

Some were saying that kids couldn't use a compound, but the xbow would allow them to hunt. I disagree, for the reasons stated above. Basically my point was that I would not approve xbows just for the sake of letting kids hunt earlier than they are physically/mentally capable of.
My response to that would be the same as above. Different kids are different. Some will mature mentally before they do physically and others won't. If it keeps them interested and in the sport then I think a couple of wounded deer is the lesser of the two evils. You can't police that by age anyway. Even us older guys with lots of experience still lose deer. You can't prevent someone from hunting because they "might" lose a deer.

I realize that it is not my decision to when who's kid does what, but you have to have some basic guidelines. A 7 year old kid is not mentally prepared to shoot at animals with a xbow, IMO. A rifle? sure, shot placement isn't nearly as crucial.
either a kid is ready or they aren't. Like I said you can't IMO keep someone from hunting because they might lose a deer. I think, with adult supervision, that child could be just as successful with a crossbow. The adult can help them make the decisions about when to shoot etc.

Also, I'm looking a step further. Ok, dig this........ The argument has been made that more hunters during archery season = more support for archery..... Perhaps, but, my puny mind tells me that the ONLY people that will use a xbow will be gun hunters that do not currently bowhunt. Therefore, IMO, there alliance will be that of the gun and if given the chance would still like to see archery seasons shortened, in order to allow gunners more time, as if 2 1/2 months in MS is not enough
I think you are right about that to an extent. Some of the hunters that you draw will undoubtedly be gun hunters and when it comes to intrastate politics their loyalties may be devided. However, their loyalites may also start to lean toward bowhunting as well. But, when it comes time to fight groups that want to outlaw bowhunting (HSUS) then they are going to be an ally because regardless of which side of the aisle their loyalties lie on they are still going to have a dog in the fight and they are going to be much more supportive than they would if they were purely gun hunters.

Do you see what I am saying? IMO, more #'s doesn't necessarily equal more support.
I think at the end of the day when all else is considered it does.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:22 PM

Fair enough....... Good chat
Old 03-30-2005, 01:30 PM

Double Creek - cross over the line into AR, buy a hunting license, go to that SE corner and hunt the White River NWR and that area - MONSTER bucks, lots of deer ............... and a crossbow will never bother your archery hunting one bit oddly enough

Quick Reply: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.