Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 please tell me just one negative to crossbows >

please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Old 03-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

I would not be a bit upset if a recurve/longbow only season went into effect and shortened my archery season. Why? Because I will go buy another recurve, practice hard until I am satisfied and hunt with it. Same with cap and ball, although I do not currently hunt deer with a firearm. If its legal in your state to use a crossbow in archery season, thats fine. In the same breath I will fight against them being legal equipment in my state's archery season and I will never acknowledge them as archery equipment.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:55 PM

Datamax, in MS archers get 2 additional tags!!! Therefore, the actual harvest could increase tremendously, depending on the involement of gun hunters with xbows. Worst case scenario, the 162,000 gun hunters each killed 2 extra does, the kill could increase by over 300K. Now that is very extreme but technically possible.

For instance, gun hunters now get 6 tags. However, archers get 2 additional, so we can kill 8 deer. I agree, in theory xbows would probably not effect our total harvest that much. However, I prefer archery season to be left to just archery hunters. We are already at a disadvantage and should have a head start IMO. Selfish? Yes! F
Old 03-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt- Well said, just what I was thinking myself. I'll buy the perogie dinner when we meet!!! Before anyone blasts me for siding with Matt- I was huntin with a longbow before most people on here were born.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Before anyone blasts me for siding with Matt- I was huntin with a longbow before most people on here were born.
Gosh, you are old. No wonder you like to hunt those big trophy tomatos, they can't move.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Dominant Buck

IF crossbows have ANY negative impact, I'll lobby against them with the lot of you. But I would do the same if compounds showed to be bad or rifles etc. But crossbows have never been shown to have a negative impact, have they ?
I have never heard anyone shooting themself with a compound bow. Last year a boy shot himself with his crossbow by accident and died. Granted it was his mistake but it wouldn't have happened with a compound.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

IF crossbows have ANY negative impact, I'll lobby against them with the lot of you. But I would do the same if compounds showed to be bad or rifles etc. But crossbows have never been shown to have a negative impact, have they ?
I have never heard anyone shooting themself with a compound bow. Last year a boy shot himself with his crossbow by accident and died. Granted it was his mistake but it wouldn't have happened with a compound.
Very common accurance. I know 2 guys in Michigan died this way a couple of years ago. Shot themselves in the leg
Old 03-16-2005, 09:07 PM

Fieldmouse - I'm sure a lot of people have been injured with compounds, either directly or indirectly. Are you suggesting banning them because of potential danger as well ? No, I didn't think so.

Cougar - but WHY are you fighting to not allow them ? Just for the hell of it ? Because your reasonings don't hold water and your argument is full of holes. You got what, a half dozen states now allowing them, NO NEGATIVE impacts to the herds, to archery seasons or bag limits ....... no negatives and reality is, you have more bowhunters involved in the sport of archery now than before.

Why ? Is it so hard to answer ? Its like being against electric cars simply because you don't like them. Thats not a reason - thats simply irrational thinking
Old 03-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: datamax

How about this radical idea. Ban all technology from primitive hunts. I mean take muzzleloaders back to cap and ball, loose powder and bullets. Recurves and longbows only. That would really change archery, you could have your solitude, your challenge, you'd REALLY get to know what archery really is, wouldn't you ?
i think thats the best idea yet. wouldnt bother me a bit!
Old 03-17-2005, 02:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

What's next, muzzleloaders during bow season?
Actually Pa. does have muzzleloaders being used in a early season with bows and a late season with bows.
I see no negatives they work for me and just hammer the deer and drop them without a trailing job.thats positive. I never would shoot over 30 yards,after that they drop to fast.Thats the negative some crackerhead with no sense trying to shoot the x-bow or any weapon beyond its ability. I'm disabled and even have a permit to shoot from a vehicle,but never did. I think it comes down to jealously with some hunters.Scared the big buck will be shot by someone else.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Fieldmouse - I'm sure a lot of people have been injured with compounds, either directly or indirectly. Are you suggesting banning them because of potential danger as well ? No, I didn't think so.
I'm sorry datamax. I thought the question of the day was tell you one negative about the use of crossbows. A boy accidently killing himself because he was using a crossbow and shot himself is pretty negative.

With that said, I don't care what anyone uses. I hunt all season long with my bow only. I have no problem hunting right in the middle of a group with shot guns. If I didn't have other priorities, I would be switching to a new recurve or long bow.

Quick Reply: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.