HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - please tell me just one negative to crossbows
Old 03-30-2005, 12:45 PM
silentassassin
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

What I meant by the kids remark was that, typically, if a child is not capable physically to handle a compound, then I personally don't think they are mentally ready to use a crossbow.(with children most physical and mental developments go hand and hand)
Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Some kids just aren't very strong even once they get up into their teens and I hate restrictions put on people because of their strength and ability or lack thereof. Some kids are burly and strapping yet mentally very immature while other kids are meek and weak and very mentally superior. It all depends on the kid and should IMO be approached on a case by case basis rather than having a law that forbids them for everyone.

Some were saying that kids couldn't use a compound, but the xbow would allow them to hunt. I disagree, for the reasons stated above. Basically my point was that I would not approve xbows just for the sake of letting kids hunt earlier than they are physically/mentally capable of.
My response to that would be the same as above. Different kids are different. Some will mature mentally before they do physically and others won't. If it keeps them interested and in the sport then I think a couple of wounded deer is the lesser of the two evils. You can't police that by age anyway. Even us older guys with lots of experience still lose deer. You can't prevent someone from hunting because they "might" lose a deer.

I realize that it is not my decision to when who's kid does what, but you have to have some basic guidelines. A 7 year old kid is not mentally prepared to shoot at animals with a xbow, IMO. A rifle? sure, shot placement isn't nearly as crucial.
either a kid is ready or they aren't. Like I said you can't IMO keep someone from hunting because they might lose a deer. I think, with adult supervision, that child could be just as successful with a crossbow. The adult can help them make the decisions about when to shoot etc.

Also, I'm looking a step further. Ok, dig this........ The argument has been made that more hunters during archery season = more support for archery..... Perhaps, but, my puny mind tells me that the ONLY people that will use a xbow will be gun hunters that do not currently bowhunt. Therefore, IMO, there alliance will be that of the gun and if given the chance would still like to see archery seasons shortened, in order to allow gunners more time, as if 2 1/2 months in MS is not enough
I think you are right about that to an extent. Some of the hunters that you draw will undoubtedly be gun hunters and when it comes to intrastate politics their loyalties may be devided. However, their loyalites may also start to lean toward bowhunting as well. But, when it comes time to fight groups that want to outlaw bowhunting (HSUS) then they are going to be an ally because regardless of which side of the aisle their loyalties lie on they are still going to have a dog in the fight and they are going to be much more supportive than they would if they were purely gun hunters.

Do you see what I am saying? IMO, more #'s doesn't necessarily equal more support.
I think at the end of the day when all else is considered it does.